Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Default Choppy movie

I am having some playback problems with my Sony HX1 movies. I recorded several short movies using fine details (1080p). The movies play just fine when I view them in the camera's little screen but when I copied them to my hard drive(computer) and tried to play using VLC or power dvd software, the movies play with a lot of choppiness meaning the picture and audio is great but there is a lot of stutter.

Any suggestions what shall I do. Note that I did not converted the movies in any other format. Just copies the mp4 files from the memory stick to my hard drive and played it.
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:41 PM   #2

Playback of 1080p video can be quite demanding on the computer hardware (i.e., CPU, video card, etc.). Chances are, it's just a limitation with your PC's performance causing the issue.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:01 PM   #3

Yes, JimC is entirely correct-

I had the same problem. Then I checked on another computer, that was more powerful and the movie played perfectly.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:14 PM   #4

Thank you Jim, Sarah, after researching I found out that yeah 1080p video playback need a fairly powerful computer. Mine is atleast 6 years old so no wonder. But here's the catch I was able to watch the movie flawlessly. how well there is a cute little software called Mediaplayer classic. If you have one then set it to use VMR7 under the output section of the Options menu and you got it. It will still take a toll on your cpu usage but oh well. Hope this will help someone else you might be struggling with 1080p videos.
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:47 PM   #5

VLC Player can usually manage pretty well with these. I have no problems playing HD video full screen straight from my Sony WX1 on my 3 year old low-end laptop.

The choppiest one is Quicktime player, to the point that it's unusable on my computer.

Last edited by starling; Mar 2, 2010 at 6:59 AM.
starling is offline   Reply With Quote