Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:11 AM   #1
Default Can One Attach an External/Shotgun Mic to the DSC-H20?

After talking to some of the knowledgeable members of this forum, I've more or less decided upon the Sony DSC-H20 as my next purchase. Among other things, I love the fact that it has HD video, and not only that, but with optical zoom as well.

The only issue I have is that during video capture, when zooming, the sound of the internal mechanics is slightly audible. It's quiet enough, to the point where any noise at all will cancel it out, but if the scene is dead silent, you can hear it.

So I'm wondering, can one attach an external mic to the H20? I've looked on Sony.com; for inputs, all I'm seeing is "Accessory Terminal: Multi Port," and USB 2.0. I have no idea what the former is, and I'm not sure if there are any USB mics (and if so, I dunno if the camera would recognize them).

Any thoughts?

The ability to attach an external mic isn't a make or break by any stretch. Zooming is out of vogue anyhow; don't know if I can imagine myself using it while recording. But if I did, and I had to use the stock mic, I could always find a way of masking the sound of the lens. An external would make things easier...but I digress.
jjblanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:24 PM   #2

No, I am sorry to report that the H-20 does not have jack for an external microphone. That is a feature that is more easily found on upscale video cams.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:49 PM   #3

YES you can attach an External/Shotgun Mic to the DSC-H20
use double sided sticky tape, works on all point and shoot cameras, looks cool also but you will have a hard time to plug in the connector, cause no one has one.
BUT you will have more luck if you pay much more, like for the newly reduced GH1
SONY HX9V insider
costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 4:43 AM   #4

I don't mean physically attach, I mean attach as in the camera will recognize it.
jjblanche is offline   Reply With Quote