I have had a DSC-T1 for several weeks, as it has been on-sale in Asia for
a while now. There's obviously much to be said for it: 5MP in a tiny case
with a clever built in zoom. Huge LCD. Unfortunately, light metering is
poorly done, with frequent overexposures (although you can go to the EV
setting, and knock it down). The camera does badly under low light
conditions and compares very unfavorably with my DSC-F55 which has always
done excellently under those circumstances. Many blurred pictures, not
only because the camera tends to go for long exposures but also because
the design makes it very hard to avoid camera shake.

Worst, with "program mode" on, with any settings, the camera tries to
compensate for poor lighting by distorting the picture in many ways, so
what you see is not what you get (you see "capturing" then "processing"
then a generally smudgy overexposed result with some strange colors). The
oddest thing is that you can override this by going to "auto" in which
case the results are dark (the camera does not have a fast lens) but not
distorted, but if you move to "program" while still leaving everything
else in "auto," you get the strange effects and dreadful pictures. I think
this is a bug because there *is* a setting you can choose which has the
camera make adjustments to dark scenes. The problem is that this mode
appears to be erroneously enabled at all times that program mode is

I have got some much better results under good daylight conditions, and
the camera is handy for your shirt pocket, so some people will like it. It
does not strike me as a top-of-the-line device, however, and I was quite
surprised that my four-years old camera seems to still do better in many
situations, especially under low light and where action shots are
jrichmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:17 AM   #2
Default Not 100% happy with my dsc-t1

I also have had my camera for about 2 months now. Bought it on one of my trips to Hong Kong.

The camera is a marvel to look at and has some nifty features - mainly the unlimited (up to your memory capacity) time for movie capture.

But as mentioned previously, the low light performance is definitely the pits. In movie mode, any indoor takes are noticibly darker - many times to the point that it is totally useless. For flash pictures indoor, the range is not too good but at least I can get something.

For outdoor pics or in good lighting, the camera performs pretty well and the pictures are pretty well defined.

Would I buy it again if I had to do it all over - YES. Because the ultra large screen size and compactness is my priority.
Would I recommend it to someone else, MAYBE. The low light thing may ultimately be its killer.
macmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 6:41 AM   #3

I'm a novice user and just bought a DSC-T1 about a month ago. I am noticing the same problem described here. I can get good shots under most conditions, but the killer is late in the day when it is not quite a bright a normal. Then the camera seems to go into the 'it's dark' mode and the shudder speed goes way down and the pictures turn out really blurry. It is a killer because sometimes the shot I need won't come along again. I used a five year old Sony Handycam before to snap digital pics, it is sub 1m megapixels and it certainly didn't have this problem.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to overcome this problem as wells as can be expected. What settings can I adjust to try to get a reasonable shot in late afternoon lighting? Any clues by someone who may have some success in these situations will be greatly appreciated.
macmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:35 AM   #4

Out of all the Sony cameras I ever owned, the only one that truely disappointed me is the T1, aside from it's small, slim size and nice display I can't really say much good about it.It's way too expensive for what it is. The F3.5at wide angle istoosmall of an aperture for dim light photos and the slowest shutter speed on the T1 is 1 sec. which is no where near slow enough to take goodnight scene shots, plus there is no tripod mount. As just about everyone has stated in their reviews, the flash is almost useless. I don't see many improvement in the T3.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:14 PM   #5

Actually, I've owned the T1 for about 2 weeks now, and I really do like it! It's hard for some to say that they like it, but outdoor shots are amazing on this camera, and yeah, indoor shots are horrible, but for the size and weight, I truly don't mind it. I would appreciate it if it had a smaller apature, but I've got other cameras if I need to shoot indoors.

$500 is a bit steep, and that'd be my only drawback, but for the pictures I can get outdoors or in good light, I truly don't mind at all.
blackcat1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 6:14 AM   #6

My first post here, great page and forum

I wan't to buy the Sony T-3 for Chrismas, but the comments I read here are confusing me a bit. Guess the most of you guys/girls know allot about the digicam world, so if you telling that the indoor pics are very crapy...is it just cause you saw some picsof Highend Cams and comparethe T-3 with them, oris this Sony really useless for indoor pics?

thxfor any advice!
Kerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 6:23 PM   #7

Save your money on the T3, the specs are the same as the T1 except for the automatic lens cover. Because the flash power is so weak, it shoots up the ISO which leads to very grainy, noisy pictures indoors. I suggest a "P" series over the "T" anyday!
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 5:00 AM   #8

hmm..so what Cam in that size would be better then?

I need one for the 24.Dezember

What about the Casio Exilim EX-S100?

Kerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 7:48 AM   #9

My experience with the T1 is not unlike those of the previous posters. The T1 was intended to serve as a daytime camera for certain activities where I would not want to -- or physically could -- bring larger cameras. Primarily it was meant to spend time with me on the golf course. Quick snaps taken by me or others come out relatively good. (It was even there to capture my 2nd hole-in-one this past September!) The VGA movie feature was able to capture swings with apblomb. It was more useful than I anticipated. So for what I wanted the T1 for, it's perfect. The sliding cover gave me comfort when I threw it into my golf bag.

Sample photos of Lotus Flowers found in a Southern China golf course water hazard are available.

davephoto is offline   Reply With Quote