Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:06 AM   #1
Default A little help?

I am definately an amateur photographer looing into buying a new camera. I cant decide between sonys f828 or canons rebel. I have a spending limit of about $1400 and would appreciate any input that could be offered. It seems on many forums some people try to bash other cameras because they dont own that camera and want theirs to be the most advanced piece of equipment. So I would really appreciate some unbiased insight here. Thanks alot.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:09 PM   #2

Personally, I just bought a Sony 828 and am very happy with it so far. That said, if my budget had allowed I would have opted for the DSLR Canon Rebel. to match the lens range of the Sony though you're going to have to buy an additional zoom lens. There is no getting around the fact that DSLR's with their larger sensor are going to exhibit better resoloution than the fixed lens digicams although the Sony 828 probably comes closest to matching the resolution of the lower end DSLR's. Plus with the DSLR you have the versatility of being able to add various lenses, flashes,etc as the situation and budget allows.
After owning and shooting with Hassleblad medium format cameras a number of years ago and using the outstanding Zeiss optics the fact that the Sony has a Zeiss designed lens on it was an attraction to me.
(HOWEVER I AM IN NO WAY COMPARING A SONY ZEISS LENS TO THE ZEISS LENSES THAT ARE USED WITH A HASSLEBLAD!!) There is no comparison. Most of the Hassleblad lenses prices start at at least two or three times the cost of the Sony f828.

All the forum chatter regarding the objectionable degree of CA (purple fringing) and noise problems with the Sony are in most instances going to be irrelevant. From most of the samples I've seen posted the portions of the photos exhibiting CA are blown up way beyond normal viewing magnafications. You can find flaws in any image that is greatly enlarged. From my own experience I made an 8x10 print of a woodland snow scene with a bright overcast sky. I observed no objectional noise or CA whatsoever. I reopened the 8x10 file in Photoshop and magnified the image 500% and sure enough there was CA exhibited around the tree branches that were showing against the bright sky. Did I notice any of this in the 8x10 print, NO!! I have yet to print an 11x14 or a 13x19 (the largest my printer will make). as far as noise goes, if needed there are excellent programs that vastly reduce noise while preserving sharpness. If you're considering exhibiting Gallery sized prints then my recommedation is to stick with a film camera preferably a medium format. However, if most of your shooting is just going to be for fun then by all means digital is the way to go. You won't look back.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote