Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:33 PM   #1
Default mcv cd 500 and macintosh help

I just purchased a mavica cd 500. I have a macintosh emac with both os 9.2 and os x. When I try to download a cd from the camera via the usb cable, I get the following message: 'software needed for the USB device "Sony PTP" is not available. Would you like to look for the software on the internet?" When I click 'yes', I get a message stating that ther is none available. I want to work in the mac 9.2 environment and be able to import the images into Photoshop. What do I need to do? Itried getting in touch with Sony support which is like trying to communicate with Mars.
latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 3:11 PM   #2

You have to download a UDF Volume access which is free from Roxio.
Go to the bottom of the page and look for " UDF Volume access for Macintosh Version 1.0.4 "
This download is only good for OS 9.xx , OS 10.xx is not supported.
Follow instructions once you download and your good to go !
In OS 9.xx in your case 9.2 you cannot use the USB cable, Sony's PTP ( Picture Transfer Protocol ) driver is only available for OS 10.xx. In which case IPhoto will automatically open up. The only drawback in OS X is, you cannot download the video MPG . The UDF Volume access allows you to download your jpgs, tiffs, and video mpg's direct from the minicd. This method of downloading your images is lightning fast compared to using the USB cable in OS10.

If any one reading this has a slot loading Imac always make sure that the minicd is popped into the supplied adapter ring ( that is included with the Mavica ).. on the correct side. The consequence of not following instructions could lead to a damaged or broken adapter ring clip which is so small that probably wouldn't be noticed until it's to late and the minicd is stuck inside your Imac.

Sincerely, John G.
Friend of " Little green men "
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote