Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 23, 2004, 3:14 PM   #1
Default the zoom on 717

i understand that the 717 has a 5x optical zoom and a 2x digiatl zoom, some reviews are misleading stating it is a 10x digital zoom...

i dont understand wht is meant by a smart zoom tht this camera has and it is 35x smart zoom, wht is it for and how does one get this smart zoom?
zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:15 AM   #2

5x optical and 2x digital zoom. I'm not sure what you mean by 'Smart Zoom.' I think its just another snazy name for the digital zoom.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 5:22 PM   #3
Default 717 Zoom Control

As previously stated the 717 has a 5X optical and a 2X electronic zoom. In the setup menu, the operator can turn OFF the 2X electonic zoom. If the 2X electonic zoom is set to ON, the camera, when zoomed to telephoto, will zoom the 5X optical first then start zooming the electronic zoom when the 5X range is exceeded.

Hope that helps.

The camera on captures the image, the photographer makes the image.
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 8:40 PM   #4

As far as the smart zoom, it may be the picture zoom. After you take a picture, you can zoom in on that photo and save the new picture. Maybe that's what they're talking about. The manual refers to it as Playback Zoom, but I didn't see "Smart Zoom" listed anywhere. Hope that helps
Mhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:46 AM   #5

Smart Zoom is something on the newer cameras. When using digital zoom at lower resolutions, it crops the image out of a full-size image instead of resampling a small image up to larger resolution. So, if you are shooting at 640x480 (why you would do that, I don't know), it uses the center of the CCD only. It doesn't work that way on the F717. I just pretend the camera doesn't have digital zoom. I never use it. I wish it didn't say 10x on the side, because that's really just a gimmick.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote