Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:43 PM   #1

Default Using HX-50V to record very long videos

Hi All, I'm looking to record theatrical performances that are 90+ minutes in length. After doing extensive research here and elsewhere, I was all set to buy a camcorder (the Canon Vixia HF R400) but then I stumbled across some threads about using point-and-shoot cams for video. That would be much more desirable for me for a few reasons (chiefly, portability, to have something I can easily slip in my pocket, and secondarily, the ability to capture superior still photos), and I'd narrowed down my choice to the Canon SX280 and HX-50V.

But now it occurs to me I may run into two problems.

First, 4GB file size limit - with camcorders, when you hit 4GB limit it automatically starts recording to a new file, with zero loss of data, and you can just stitch files together to get one long movie. I've spent hours looking but can't determine whether the the HX-50v does the same thing or if you have to manually start recording a new movie when you hit the 4GB limit. Does anyone know about this?

Second, battery life - based on what I can find online it seems like the battery should last around 90 minutes at HD recording - can anyone confirm this? And are there third party batteries that offer better life?

Thanks for your help!
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:35 AM   #2

To answer this for others, it seems all point and shoot cams currently on the market limit clip length to 29 minutes.
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:40 AM   #3

are you going to zoom in?

If not there are a few cams yo can get that will record unlimited. but are not going to be expensive cams? They will be either low budgets, or no longer companies on the market.