Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:04 PM   #1
Default adapting DSC-F717 to day infra-red

I usually post on the FZ-150 forum, but recently became interested in infra-red photography. Several blogs tell one to 'just' remove the IR filter from a cheap point and shoot and you'll get something to try it out with. Well, long story short, I broke the ribbon cable on my Coolpix S9 in the attempt, and couldn't see the IR filter anyway (I suspect it's a sealed unit).
So, in the process of deciding what to do next, I ran across a 'very inexpensive' DSC-F717, and grabbed it immediately. What a beautiful little camera. I'm amazed at the quality of the pictures this guy will take, for a camera made in 2002, amazing.
Now to the point. I want to use it for daytime infra-red, but understand that I have to either modify the camera, which I'm loathe to do, or make/buy a filter(s) that will remove visible light from the IR mode? I think I've got that right. Can anyone advice me on the (least expensive) course that will allow me to take reasonably good infra-reds. There seem to be several schools of thought about how to do this.
..... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:08 PM. Reason: correct mistake
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links