Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 16, 2004, 4:07 AM   #1
Default Reaching the Limitations of 717: Sports?

I love my 717 -- but as my children age and get more active, I find that that camera (and I) have a hard time keeping focused. It just doesn't seem fast enough to handle any type of any fluid or jerky movement regardless of the automatic or manual settings I use.

Anything more than a slow smile seems to be a challenge. Am I asking too much of this camera. Is it time to move up to SLR.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:04 AM   #2

You might try manual focus too.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 6:00 PM   #3

As good as the F707/F717 is, you have discovered the limitations of any contrast differentiation focus camera. It simply takes more time to accomplish autofocus with this system than with the system used by dSLR's.

Manual focus can greatly speed up the process, but there is still some shutter lag which can and does cause one to miss shots where near instantaneous reaction is desired.

The dSLR's, for all practical purposes, have zero shutter lag. Yes, it's measurable and there are some differences between models, but essentially shutter lag itself is a non-issue.

Autofocus on the dSLR's in general is much, much faster as well. To catch the quick movements and actions of children, the tool of choice would definitely be an SLR type camera whether digital or film. Some of the newer models of Sony such as the F828 are extremely fast, but there is still some lag which you just don't find with the SLR cameras in general.

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote