Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 3, 2004, 6:23 PM   #1
Default Sony DSC-F828 VS the new Canon Proshot Pro 1

Both cameras produced excellent images at highest resolution, @ISO 100 and ISO 200, no CA problem exist, outstanding color clarity, here are some of my observations and comments.

The Sony autofocus is extremely fast, not just twice faster than the Canon, but three times faster than the Nikon coolpix 8700 and the Oplympus C8080, Sony AF works well indoor and lowlight, when the Canon will have some problem with low contrast subjects and low light.

Both of the supermarco modes on both camera work fine, @28mm zoom setting the tip of the lens almost touch the subject on both cameras.

I prefer the manual zoom on the Sony F-828, works beautiful, the power motorized zoom on the Canon is okay, not as great, but it works, you have to get use to it.

Built in flash on both cameras tend to overexposure for most close subjects, the use of external flash such as the Canon 550 EX and the Sony HVL-F32X give you better control to reduce the flash output presicely. The Sony HVL-F32X is beautiful made, very compact and handsome, not too bulky as the Canon 550EX, it's too big for the Pro1 but well balance set on the Canon 10D and the 300D.

I can't tell the different on the AF operation on both lenses, the Carl Zeiss on the Sony and the L lens on the Canon, both very quiet, the Carl Zeiss lens is faster than the Canon L lens (F/2.2-2.8 vs F/2.4-3.5). I prefer the design on the Carl Zeiss lens, manual zoom, you can add a 58mm filter on it and the hood at the same time, but not on the Canon, Canon supplies the 58mm filter adapter, but if you decide to put the filter on, you can not put on the lens hood at the same time, that is bad design...even worst for users with big fingers, you will have tough times to put on the lens cap with the lens hood on...good god, what is Canon engineer thinking? oh well...

I also prefer the new Canon lithium ion battery BP-511A, at almost 1400MAH, it's better battery, and the compact charger is designed for travel, you have to buy one for the Sony since it's optional accessory, the supplied AC/charger on the on the Sony is so bulky for travel..

The Sony has dual memory slots, one for CF I and II, one for memory stick, you can switch from one another anytime, it's great to serve as back up to have both memory cards in there all the times, you can only use the CF card in the Canon Pro 1. All shooting modes and metering modes on both camera are practical, I really don't care for many other modes since I shoot 80% in A mode.

Even though the Canon LCD screen is larger than the Sony LCD (2" vs 1.8"), but the Canon LCD is hard to see outdoor when you shoot back lit subjects, the Sony LCD looks fine under this condition. In normal condition, both works great. I don't believe in LCD EVF and don't care how great that was, except is black and white LCD EVF, so I will hold my comments on that...

Canon pro 1 is designed for travel, very compact and light weight, not as bulky and heavier like the Sony, handling on both are good, both bodies are made of the better magnesium alloy material, not plastic and so they will feel good in your hand.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2004, 3:18 PM   #2
Default 828 owner?

I almost bought an 8080 this week and then i read that the FLASH recycle time was 7 seconds, so the great startup time IN MY HOUSE with my kids would actaully be 7 instead of 3...and i think i would miss a lot of shots. How long does it take for the flash to recycle or be ready for the first indoor shot?

Also, I need a camera that has NO trouble fast focusing in lower light (my powershot70 is terrible in that aspect), my c-2020 was great. I see you said in your posting that it works great in low light, i assume you meant the autofocus????

I will be thrilled if i found a camera that does it all!!

I'm not as interested in the 8 mp, but the newer the camera, it seems to improve these two problems that i dont want in my digital camrera

Also, when you look thru the viewfinder, is it CLEAR or look like a screen ? I cant seem to see thru the ones with screen in them (like olympus 740)

ANOTHER BIGGIE< I"M LOOKING FOR NO RED EYES, which the 8080 DID claim....but i was hoping that as long as this camera had a flip up flash that it too wouuld be ok for red eyes......i fix them constantly with my two cameras i have now....light blue eyes and a darker house/

wiste is offline   Reply With Quote