Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 26, 2004, 7:44 PM   #21

Crespo.pt wrote:

Even so ... for 2 AA Batteries , Sony says 340 shots. The full charge time for them is not so hot... still +/- 6 hours asit was for my old P72.

It will be a must to a haveaother AA pair... just in case...

Delivery Times for my W1: 3 Weeks (5 -12 June)

hey ya! you have the same sony camera as me! would you mind telling me your own reviews of W1 when you get it in 3 weeks time? do

skinergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 6:22 AM   #22

Bouba wrote:
Hi People,

Someone ( ex gizzer ) have received dsc-w1 ?

raaaaahhhh i want it ...

Well, my "1-2 Weeks" came and went... Then I got an email from Amazon saying it will be a further 4-6 weeks!

...Mind you it doesn't seem to be Amazon's fault, I've check some other websites and they are all saying the same too....
gizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 9:49 AM   #23

Hi All,

I was about to buy the P10, but have seen there new models, the w12 look excellent but then the p100 looks good too. Should I wait?

Storm Warning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 5:42 PM   #24

If you are taking flash pictures using a 2.5 inch LCD that number you are quoting goes *way* down.

Two batteries aren't going power a 2.5 inch LCD and flash photos for very long.

I actually prefer AAs though over propietary lithiums like in my P10, V1, and T1. On trips I prefer not to have to contantly charge batteries. It's a hassle. I just want use ebergizer e2 lithium battieries. Ican get those at any Walmart. :-) (And most places have a Walmart these days.)

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 8:49 PM   #25

There's quite a lot of info out there on this great little camera.

I've looked at a lot of it, and I'm going to buy it. It's not perfect, but, for what I want, is at good as it gets.

Here is one review of the W1:

And, of course :

This is a link to a shop that I found a good price for. I might get it from here myself. Apparently it has next day free delivery. If link is playing up, go to http://www.bestcameras.co.uk and browse from there:

Here are some online shops sites I've seen:

http://www.buyacamera.co.uk/xsearch.asp?recid=sonca600 (this one doesn't have a price since the camera isn't yet available).

Infact the DSC-W1 won't be available anywhere in the UK until sometime in June. Don't know when exactly.

Also...remember that some sites are more trustworthy than others. Personally, I won't touch Amazon with a 10ft bargepole, because I'm not waiting 28 days for delivery. No way. Some sites offer 3-4 day delivery, and some for free, and some even next day!:?

Inimbrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 3:27 AM   #26

The best price I got for the Sony W1 was in a German Site for 364 Euros.

20 Euros for Pickup & Delivery.

Might have a look...

PS - Looking forward to get my new Toy...
Crespo.pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 1:31 PM   #27

DSC-W12 bought Saturday in Geneva, Switzerland CHF 598.- =EUR 390.- :P
NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 4:11 AM   #28

I am very disappointed about the lack of a manual white balance control. I have a mixture of compact fluorescent, fluorescent, tungsten, and skylights that the auto setting on my Sony camcorder can't handle. My friend has a Sony DSC-S85 that would be junk without the "One Push" manual white balance setting. Granted, it does not have a settings for tungsten and fluorescent, only indoor, outdoor, and automatic, butitisnot always a good match. This page shows that it is necessary on the DSC-V1: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv1/page14.asp

That is a show-stopper for me.

Sinister Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 4:23 AM   #29

That white balance adjustment limitation is a problem for me, as well. There's just auto, daylight, cloudy, floursecent, incandescent. Further, the manual implies that once the picture is taken, it returns to auto! I'm still waiting to lay my hands on a W1, but the more I read, the more concerned I am. May well return in my purchasing consideration to the "old" reliable Canon A80.

Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 4:51 AM   #30

I still think that for a compact this W1 is going to be a winner.It might have the lack of manual white balance, but i find worse issues in other cameras, so W1 is still in my top 5 compact camera. In my opinion Sony should've been able to "join" the W1 and the V1 for building the "semi-perfect" one. The lens and manual controls of the V1 + the fast performance and the 2,5" LCD of the W1 would've been nice...

While wainting for my bank account to grow up and buy a SLR nikon D70, e find the W1 a right choice for a compact...

I'm waiting and waiting for my pre ordered W1...

SRC.pt (Sorry for my english)

PS - For what I can realizeMemory Sticks manufactures are dropping the prices, this will be a + for Sony Cameras... Can you confirm that?
Crespo.pt is offline   Reply With Quote