Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 24, 2004, 1:04 PM   #1

I have been looking for a pocket size or slightly bigger 5.0 MP 3x optical zoom camera that has good image quality and manual controls. My search has led me to the Sony DSC-P100. After camparison with the DSC-W1 it seemed that the P100 had superior battery life due to the large LCD of the W1. The size was much more attractive as well. I have read that the P100 isn't so hot for taking pictures indooor due to a weak flash.

What are the main differences between the P100 and the W1 in terms of the manual control. I saw that it only had two manual steps for the aperture in manual mode, which seemed strange to me. I thought there would have been more Would the P100 satisfy a user who desired enough manual control or should one consider the V1?

Illuvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2004, 4:10 PM   #2

I've tested the P93 which has the same manual mode as the P100, and I've also tested the V1.

In previous posts I've said these are very different cameras and the choice should be obvious to a buyer.

The P100 is very small and biased towards top quality point and shoot. Its crudemanual mode is of marginal use in this type of camera.

The VI is bulky and a little fiddly to operate but has a stunning selection of manual modes...and a very good flash. Super for the dedicated enthusiast.

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote