Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 23, 2002, 1:52 PM   #1
Default DSC-717 shutter lag

I saw nothing in Steve's review about any inprovments in shutter lag. I love my 707 but the shutter lag is too long. Is the lag the same in manual as AF? Has it been improved?
klwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2002, 3:59 PM   #2
Default 717 lag informal test

I'm playing with one right now. In fact, this one is two serial numbers later off the assembly line as the one Steve reviewed.

Of course, if you half-press before trying to grab a shot, that's the fastest with any digital camera and will generally get you into the 1/10 sec range or less.

The real answer is this, "it depends." Meaning that you can shoot tele in a low light level setting and force the auto focus to search forward and behind the subject before achieving focus, thus extending the time before shutter, or you can shoot wide angle and speed the process up considerably.

You will NEVER get a camera to autofocus and trigger the shutter as fast as you can get the shutter to release with manual focus.

That said, the 717 is a tad faster than the 707, I'm told. Since I trained my button finger long ago to pre-focus with the half-press, it may be that my experience is tainted with technique.

The finger-stab at wide angle seems to benefit the most, carrying out the myriad of mode changes involved in an exposure in what feels like about 1/4 - 1/3 sec.

iNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2002, 11:47 AM   #3

there is no lag unless the auto focus is considered to be the lag. furthermore, it always takes time for myself to set-up the apperture before I shoot. if the F707 will be considered as "point-and-shoot" camera, still, thereis no lag as autofocus always takes a second.

[Edited on 29-9-2002 by CEBEP]
CEBEP is offline   Reply With Quote