Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:19 AM   #11

I haven't noticed any focussing problems so far.
jimjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:54 AM   #12

I'll chime in here.

I believe Ive noticed the same behavior w/ auto white balance that rg7 mentioned. Ive taken a few hundred outdoor pictures so far - mostly when hiking so landscapes, mountains, foresty-trees, scenery etc.under varying levels of sun & cloud cover. In my experience the outdoor images taken w/ AWB look less natural than ones taken w/ the Daylight WB setting. In fact, Ive also found that Daylight WB setting produces better looking (IMO) images than the Cloudy WB setting, even in cloudy conditions! (the Cloudy settings seems to give an ugly yellow tint). So anytime I take my W1 outdoors, WB immediately goes to Daylight, regardless of weather.

On a different subject, a lot of ppl have talked about W1 images being too 'soft'. To add my $.02 to that, I tend to agree that the W1's images are not as sharp as I think they should be. When I view the imagesfull size, I don't see crispness, I see fuzziness. To put it another way, as I zoom into the image, I expect sharpness to break upinto pixels, but instead i see sharpness, then fuzziness, then pixels. That seems wrong to me, however... this is my first and only digital cam i ever used so maybe my expectations are off.
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 8:13 PM   #13

Thanks for the 2 cents. When enlarging photos on the screen they don't seem soft, only at normal size right from the camera onto my Mac. My other camera, a Fuji 3800 with 3.2 mp did appear crisper after importing. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from "5 mega pixels".
wisperin squash is offline   Reply With Quote