Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:46 PM   #1

Sometimes I notice my W1's display of the aperture/shutter at the bottom of the screen (in program mode) blinks after I half-press the shutter.
The last time it happened the values were 1/2000-f5.2.
Anyone knows the meaning of this?
Deadlock-83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2004, 7:14 PM   #2

I don't own your camera, and don't want to take the time to download and read the owners manual.

However, if I had to venture a guess, it's letting you know that the current conditions were outside of the camera's ability to compensate for them via aperture/shutter speed combinations.

1/2000 second is the maximum shutter speed for your model from looking at the specifications.

Now, what's puzzling is the f/5.2 aperture. From what I can tell, the Sony DSC-W1 only has two real aperture openings. So, at any given focal length, it will choose from one of these two apertures (with the values changing based on the amount of zoom used).

However, from looking through some photos, it should have smaller apertures than f/5.2 available. That is, unless you were in a scene mode at full zoom, and the scene mode was causing the camera to select the largest available aperture of f/5.2 at full zoom. That seems very unlikely.

So, even at full wide angle, it should be selecting from either f/2.8 or f/5.6. At any focal length greater than full wide angle, it should be selecting a smaller aperture if shutter speeds are at their maximum.

Are you sure it was f/5.2 and not f/5.6?

Also, did you have the ISO speed increased when this happened? Even with an EV (Exposure Value) of 16 (about what you'd have with very bright direct sunlight reflecting off of snow or sand), 1/2000 second would still be fast enough at ISO 100 and f/5.6.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:55 AM   #3

Sorry, my mistake. The f-stop was indeed 5.6 as I was at full wide angle.
I understand the camera was "complaining" that even at these settings too much light might be entering the sensor.
ISO was set to 100.
Deadlock-83 is offline   Reply With Quote