Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 8, 2004, 12:16 PM   #1

Hi everybody, anybody of you is getting the impression that P93's photos are a bit blurry and our of focus ?

I did buy this model 10 days ago and put in a drawer the2 years old & 2Mpix DSC P2 and now I amusing it again as quite dissatisfied with that 5Mpix&poor quality of the P93.

Did you have faced anything similar? Any ideas or suggestion?

I have tried to play with settings and change everything by now, no joy !!

Many thanks for your help and Ciao,

Gianni from Rome/Italy
Giangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2004, 7:04 PM   #2

If you've tried all different settings and are still getting poor photos then maybe you got a defective camera. I suggest you exchange it for another one! The P93 has given me about the best results from any of the point and shoot Sonycamera I have used. I did notice that there are some differences in image quality between the exact same Sony cameras. Here are two brand new p150 cameras and the white balance between them is noticably different, one of them is fairly accurate and the other has a pink look to the indoor shots I take with it. I don't think Sony has a very strict quality assurance policy and this is the reason why some people complain about their camera while others have no problems at all. (This pic was taken with my P93)
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:44 AM   #3

Thanks friend.

Unfortunately by reading forums Icould understand that most peoplecomplain of P73&P93 in general. So I suspect that only a few people got a 'working fine' camera and the rest is regretting about results. It's something like 50% of people (also talked with some friends of mine having this model or P73 or W1).

I'll try to see either the dealer can help and let me try a twin-model at the shop.

I have also open a complaint to Sony Italy for this and waiting for feedback (if any ....).

I played some hours last week-end and peruse further documents, I suspect the problem is due to noise-reduction system introduced by Sony from 4Mpix on (my be wrong here). For sure it's on P73&P93.

Result is that I coud get better images by changing default setup to (quality far from the P2....):

Mode AF -> MONITOR (battery's life will suffer but don't care).

Focus -> Centre AF (get rid of Multi AF !! Out of focus is assured 75% of times)

Sharpness + (plus) instead of Normal

Contrast Normal, sometimes on + (plus)

Flash on + (with subj < 2meters put on -, avoid Normal)

If anybody else has any info on this, it's appreciated. I would expect a firmware revision etc etc (as long as the issue is really due to sw compression and/or noise-reduction routines).

Giangi is offline   Reply With Quote