Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:09 AM   #1

Well it has been a year and thensome. The other big guys have come out with new SLR type cameras with big lens options. They've also corrected problems that their new ones had. Isn't it time for Sony's replacement or upgrade to the 828? I'm back in the market for a new Sony and I'd hate to buy a close-out 828 at Circuit City with a new model out in ........... a week, two weeks, a month or two. So does anyone know when/if this camera is in the pipeline. When I stopped over at CC to look at the 828 I was told that model was being closed out and Sony has a replacement ready. I just have not found a reference to this new camera. Anyone have a scoop on this?

Thanks, Dennis
dljacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:36 AM   #2

Maybe a Panasonic killer with Optical Image Stabilization?!
Sinister Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:09 AM   #3

Barry Sonnenfeld was recently a guest onLetterman.He showed a photograph he took from his home in Telluride. He mentioned it was taken with a "Sony 929" he was testing.

Barrydid direct two major Sony motion pictures - Men in Black and Men in Black II. That might give him the right connections to have access to the camera (if there is such a camera). He currently has a column in Esquire reviewing new Gadgets/products.

Now, he could have just made a mistake (and he was testing the 828 instead). But, it has sparked a lot of rumours.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 6:43 AM   #4

I've been researching camera's for the last couple of months. I really like the 828 but want a stabilized lense. So I decided to wait and see the new Minolta SLR, reviews on the 8800 and what happens with Sony, if nothing else it means the 828 will be cheaper. I'm hoping Sony comes through here and surprises. All the big retailers are closing out the 828 so hopefully they know something we don't.
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 6:49 AM   #5

Hi, I'm new to the form but I can say that I work at circuit city in the imagaing department in Florida, and we just got in our 6 months plantagrams which all circuit cities all over the US get, and the Sony F828 is still on there. Its a slow seller in truth, so it could just be that which is keeping it on display, but as far as I know they have no plans of taking it down any time within the next 6 months at least. And they better not because Im still saving up for the Sony F828! only everything keeps getting in my way of owning it. I own the F505V at the moment. over time for an update to my old caemra.
Although I will ask today when I go in for work just to be sure about this.
Aries19o19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:40 PM   #6

Where in Florida are you? Do you know when Circuit City is getting the V3 in?
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:11 AM   #7

I just purchased an F828 regardless of whatís going to come out in the short, medium or long term. It is a high quality, solid, well-made and well-featured machine that will give me long years of satisfaction.

You can be sure of one thing: All the stuff that you buy is going to get replaced almost yearly by a new model. And in many cases the new model is going to be more about packaging than substance. And you have to read those sickening owners manuals all over again!! (LOL)

The audio equipment and mini components of the last 20 years sound exactly the same (by class) but now have strobe lights and tell you when dinner is ready. I have a 15-year-old Bang & Olufsen that sounds like heaven.

Even though the digital camera phenomena is fairly new I can be sure that with 5, 7 or 8 MPís Iíll have enough and than some for many years to come.

Remember that the main marketing strategy is to make you feel discontented with what you have.

Be happy

El Yeti
El_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:52 PM   #8

I too have been looking at upgrading for a few months now and looking at this and another web site almost every couple days for late news. I was just about ready to choose between the 828 and other options, then realized Sony hasbeen releasing the latest models of this camera the last couple years in August and September. So I have been waiting for an announcement before I buy, especially to see if they come out wih a fix to the purple fringe and perhaps offer greater zoom or stabilization.

There are some rather tempting models out there, but I have been really happy with my F707 that I have had the last few years. If they wait too long, I may opt for one of the other models out there.

redrider is offline   Reply With Quote