Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:02 AM   #1

is the W1 LCD sharp? i dont quite understand how they assign
pixels to the LCD. W1 with its 2.5 LCD has about 123,000 pixels whereas on
some other Sony digicam with a 1.5 LCD, the pixels is about 150,000.
how come it is like that?

most importantly, is the W1 LCD sharp? thanx!:-)
kantek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:43 AM   #2

You could assign 20,000 pixels to a 3.5" LCD.
There is no technological difficulty in assigning relatively few pixels to a screen.

As for the W1's LCD, I think its a high quality one. Its rather sharp, not the sharpest but quite good. I think its main limitation is the vertical resolution. While the horizontal resolution comprises of 500+ lines, which is quite a bit, the vertical resolution is only about 220 lines, meaning that the pixels aren't square shaped, but are actually rectangular.

While you will barely be able to notice any particular pixel by itself, when playing back images on the LCD you will find you need to zoom in quite a bit to notice the details of the image.

Overall its one of the better LCD's I've seen, has excellent colors and quite sharp too. I don't think you'll have any problem with it. My older Sony digital camera also had a 2.5" LCD which is way inferior in all aspects, and has about 85,000 pixels. The LCD of the W1 is lightyears ahead.
Deadlock-83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 5:40 AM   #3

We shared some opinions about this issue. You can find that topic through the link:

Personally I think that the W1's LCD is not good.
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 3:15 AM   #4

The W1's LCD is great. However it is slightly grainy in playback mode. You can notice it easily. But in camera mode it's totally fine. Regardless, it's a 2.5inch and I'd take that over any 1.8 or 2.0inch screen. For eg, the Casio EX-Zxx series have a 2.0inch screen but the pixel resolution is significantly less than the Sony's (I believe it's around the 80K mark). Be that as it may I did wish that Sony included the same LCD as the T-series on the W1.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote