Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 19, 2002, 7:17 PM   #1
Default F717 or F707?

I am an amateur looking into getting a very good 5 megapixel camera, I am seriously considering the 717 and 707....is 717 worth the extra 300 dollars? Does it produce much better pictures ?
dorae006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2002, 12:53 PM   #2

When I purchased my 717, stores were still selling the 707 for the same price as the new 717. Made for an easier choice.

The 717 has some significant changes and new features. You should read the reviews here, at dpreviews.com, and at imaging-resource.com. Note what the reviewers say have changed or been added, and ask yourself if that makes any difference for you.

Another consideration is future value. The price on the 707 has dropped, and it will continue to drop in comparison to the 717.

Hope this helps.
Brooks P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 8:33 AM   #3

Hi there.
I myself has the 707. A friend bought the 717.

1: 707 makes good photo's and is superb.
2: 717 has a lot more. Thinks I miss on the 707 is the white balance histogram. 717 has one!.
3: 717 has manual zoomfunction: it saves power! However the accu is of both very-very-very strong.
4: In manual program the 707 will only show in low light circumstance what you are getting on the pic.
The 717 has much better low light performance. Heck, you can see what you get in almost dark. ( I mean here not the nightshot function) I think this option usefull because when i use flash and i want to get a great dof, i have to do it manually. Per example: F8, shutter 1/125 and just flash. It works well, but the 717 will always show the data on the lcd. The 707 can not.
5:717 is faster in starting up./ on/off but slower with Tiff. It also takes more time switching between photo review and photo programs.
6: 717 menues are better. It is easier to delete for more pict in less time.

If I had to buy: F717.
Good luck.
you can check www.photosig.com to compare photo quality of different sony's
fterhaar is offline   Reply With Quote