Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 11, 2004, 6:50 PM   #1

I posted this message in the memory card forum several days ago and didn't get a response. I was hoping some f-828 or V3 owners could answer this question...

I am planning on getting the Sandisk Extreme III Compact Flash as soon as it's available later this month. I am using a Sony V3 and I am currently using an older memory stick pro (not the newer "high speed" mem stick pro). When I shoot pics in raw format I would guess that it takes about a 10 second lag between pictures. Does anyone have experience with either the Sony V3 or maybe the Sony F-828 with one of the higher speed memory cards available (i.e. Sandisk Ultra II or Lexar 80x Compact Flash). Is the lag time much improved?

I figure the newer high speed cards are fast, but the camera has to have the ability to send the information to the card as fast as the card can receive it, right?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this question!
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:08 AM   #2

You won't notice much difference with the faster compact flash card. Performance is better with Memory Stick Pro.
dkimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:01 AM   #3

the sandisk compact flash ll card says it writes 9mb per second and reads 10mb/sec. I believe on the V3 a RAW image is 12mb or is it 32? If it's the first it would take about a second, if the file is the second size (32mb) then it should take about 3 seconds.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I don't know how fast the CF lll goes though.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:10 AM   #4

Sure, I can do the math. But what the card is capable of and what the camera is capable of are two different things.

All I have right now is an older memory stick pro (not the newer "high speed" mem stick pro). Steve tested both compact flash and memory stick pro in his review of the V3. I don't remember the exact times, but RAW photos took something like 10 seconds to write to the card. Memory Stick Pro was always slightly faster (.3 seconds or so) than the compact flash extreme. These times are obviously testing the cameras ability, not the card.
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:19 AM   #5

Hello Stallen & All,

The delay while writing Raw images to a CF/MS card with the F-828 is not going to be shortened by use of an 'Extreme' card.

You will miss photo oportunities when shooting RAW. It is as simple as that.

I shoot 95% of all my images as Fine, 8MP, Jpegs and am quite pleased.

You can check out my pics using the F-828 under varying conditions at:

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote