Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:44 PM   #1

Hello all!

My first post here. :-) As indicated in the subject, I went from a DSC-S85 to a DSC-W1. I used the S85 on the basic settings, "point and shoot" style.

However, as most of you know, the W1 is far from a "point and shoot" camera. I like the camera, and really want to learn how to use it properly.

For the most part, I take pictures of common indoor settings in medium light, outdoor pictures of vehicles and for my job, I take pictures of products for an online store (and then edit them as necessary in Photoshop) as well as person product images for eBay auctions on the side.

It seems that I have a hard time getting the settings right for these situations, and since I am not used to adjusting camera settings, I am a bit lost on the whole idea.

The biggest problem I have is that most of the images I shoot of products for work are in a small makeshift studio on a pure white background. The lighting is great, but for some reason, they still come out too dark or too bright.

I have really tried to adjust the settings but I cannot get it quite right. Some of the settings I am having a hard time understanding so I am not sure which combination is going to work. For example, adjusting EV, Metering Mode, ISO, etc. doesn't quite get to where I want to be simply because I don't understand the full aspect of how each setting change alters the final captured image. I have read through the manual, but it doesn't really go into great detail on each setting and what it does.

I guess I am looking for some suggestions on this camera from those who either have the same camera or at least have experience in making these adjustments for the types of pictures that I am taking. Bascially, I am a newbie in this realms since I have always just used automatic image settings the past.

Any and all help is appreciated!

jdebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2004, 3:16 PM   #2

well Merry Christmas to you, Santa just brought me the same camera, the dsc-w12. This is my second digcam, I had an Epson before with just the most basic adjustments.

Felt like moving on to something that will let me take night shots that are not just BLACK etc. So try these links, I bookmarked them while roaming around the forums today, thanks to ALL the members who post up info, credit where credit's due.

I know that I have a lot to learn as concerns focus, aperture, light levels and ISO etc. and these seem like a good place to start.
hunky is offline   Reply With Quote