Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:15 AM   #1

I posted this in the Newbie forum, but they suggested that I post here as well...

I recently received a P41 and I've been taking a ton of pictures with it. My problem is that no matter how steady I hold the camera, about half of the pics are blurry. This is true in all sorts of lighting conditions. Am I doing something wrong?

Attached is an example...
Attached Images
draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:03 PM   #2

It is difficult to tell from the sample but, you might be able to see more clearly with the original.

If the blur is all over the shot and if there is some direction to the blur then the problem might be camera shake. One problem with digital cameras is toomuch reliance on the LCD while taking picture. It forces you to hold the camera out in front oof you so that you can see the LCD. Unfortunately this is a very unsteady posture and results in a lot of camera shake. Since the P41 has an optical viewfinder, you can stabilize the camera quite a bit just by holding the camera up to your eye. This is a trick that film point and shoot users have been doing for years.

On the other hand, if there is one part of the shot that IS in focus, while the rest is not (Is the partition wall on the right side of the picture in focus?) then the issue may be firing the shutter before focus is locked and, by chance, whatever was at the right distance ends up in focus.

If you want to test whether it is an AF problem or a camera shake problem, then mount the camera on a mini tripod and take a few test shots. Use the P41's self timer to take the shot so that there won't even be effected by pushing the shutter button. If all the shots come out OK, then the problem is likely camera shake and you will need to change your shooting technique.

If the shots are still out of focus even from a tripod then it might be an AF problem.

It is worth a test.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:59 PM   #3

The digital zoom on the P41 can also make some shots look blurry...
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote