Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:43 AM   #1

As you may have picked up on my previous posts I'm in the middle of a camera dilemma.

I currently have a Toshiba PDR-3310 and want a new, qualitycamera, ready for my overseas wedding this year. I'll mainly use it for holiday and family picture taking etc.

The problem is, having read the reviews and held it in the shop, I have my heart set on the V3. But I don't know if I justify the price of it, based on my usage.

btw, I have a history on spending more money than I need to on things, so this wouldn't be a first.

My fallback is the Olympus C-765 (different type of camer altogether I know). It's also a good camera and a lot cheaper - but you know how it is when you have your heart set on something.

Any owners got advice to tip me over the edge (one way or the other)?

u_luv_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:00 AM   #2

I had the V3, and it took very nice sharp high quality photos with good color. The only thing that was bad was that indoors if you shoot a subject further than 5 feet you would see lots of noise. Lots of noise. If you're going to take pictures of a wedding then get an external flash, that should work great. Is there anywhere you can buy the camera and see if you like it or not when you take pictures and then return it if you don't like it ? That'd be my advice. Otherwise I loved my pictures.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:18 AM   #3

The V3 is a great camera although I agree with the previous statement about noise in indoor shots.Remembermostof the7 and 8 mp prosumer cameras have issues with noise at higher ISO's due to the size of the sensor...the V3 is not alone in thisarea. I have been able to reduce the noise by using the FXL-32x flash which allows me to shoot at a lower ISO. The flash is a little pricey,but being able to use the flash in bounce mode does wonders for your shots.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:38 AM   #4

Yes, if you are going to do a lot of indoor shots then the accessory flash (I have the HVL-F32X) is a good investment. It is much more powerful than the built-in flash on the V3 which allows you to be farther away from people and not worry about low-light level noise.

Point and shoot cameras are notorious for having underpowered built-in flashes. This applies to film as well as digital point and shoots. I have a Contax T3 35mm point and shoot (which costs more than the Sony V3) and it also needs to have additional flash help indoors.

Also,an externalflash will be important if you use the accessory lenses since they are wide enough to partially block the built-in flash.

I just finished taking some indoor shots at my work using the V3 and the F32X flash and they came out very nice with no red-eye or noise to be seen.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:49 PM   #5

I agree Meryl , I kept my F32X flash when I sold my F828 and will use it on my V3. I've yet to use it on the V3...but it made a big difference on the F828 for indoor shots and I'm sure the same will be true for the V3.
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:36 PM   #6

u_luv_it, perhaps you would like to check out the new C-7070.

littleboy is offline   Reply With Quote