Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:09 PM   #1

I am new to this photograph thing. I just purchased a sony dsc-w12, least to say I love the little thing. I did a lot of research and reading other posts onweb for the best settings, and all my pictures turn out great! my question is: I amgoing oversea and a bit concern about the file size. I have 2 256mb mem stick and set my camer at max pixel(5mb). Mind you that I will have my laptop with me to transfer all the pic so that I can have the mem stick available at all time. Will the settings for Fine vs. Standard make a big different in terms of quality of the picture or the printout onto 4x6?

Because personally I can't seem to tell the different between the two images on my computer when taken with these settings.

please explain. thank you in advanced,

bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:49 AM   #2

Hi Bonsai,

I loved my W1 and it takes fantastic pictures, I was thrilled when I took my first few pictures! I do notice a difference between fine and standard mode. Definitely! It's best to use the highest mode the 5MP. I don't believe what some believe that higher megapixels only matter if you enlarge an image. In my experience that's totally false. When I get 4 x6 prints developed at a professional photo lab, I notice the difference between 3MP pictures and 5MP.

It's best to keep it at the highest quality if you want the most out of your camera.

kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 5:01 PM   #3

Always use setting"Fine"... and 5Mp, if you need to crop inside

It make a better quality of the picture...

rjoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:12 AM   #4

With large storage options available, there is really no reason not to use the highest quality setting for photo's that are meant to be printed. Larger, higher quality images give you more "room" to work with allowing you to crop. The only reason to use lower quality settings would be for pictures posted to the web or for just emailing.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote