Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:42 AM   #1

H all
Have been reading this forum for quite some time but never posted before until today. Reason that I'm posting is my new digi cam from sony DSCP-43. I got it like few days ago and have been playing with it for last two days, taking pictures inside the house( living room, attic etc ).
My question is : why do my pictures suck? You are probaly thinking
he is a n00b and doesn't know how to adjust settings in order to get needed
efect but you are wrong. Been using digicams for some time now ( canon A20 ) and no mather what I do and choose on my cam I get good focus
/ sharpnes / in middle of the picture while parts for example edges and
parts that are away from the center of the shot are blured ??
Tryed with CF and MF still the same results. Maybe the problems is not
enough light but I have 2 bulbs in living room with 60W and I think it should be enough to take some OK pictures.

Tips, advices are welcome !

Is this cam a keeper or do I need to return it and get a better one?
castra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 9:15 AM   #2

castra wrote:
Maybe the problems is not
enough light but I have 2 bulbs in living room with 60W and I think it should be enough to take some OK pictures.
This is definitely NOT enough light to take OK pictures -- unless you are using a tripod or flash. Shutter speeds will be too slow to prevent motion blur from camera shake.

The human eye has the ability to adjust quite well to indoor lighting, but it's very dim compared to outdoors.

Typical indoor lighting has an EV of around 6. So, at ISO 100, you'd needa shutter speed of 1/8 second for proper exposure at f/2.8 (thelargest aperture available). Lighting with two 60 watt bulbs may be even lower than that, requiring even slower shutter speeds.

1/8 second is too slow to prevent motion blur from camera shake. The "rule of thumb" is shutter speeds of 1/focal length. So, with your lens (33mm equivalent focal length), you'd want shutter speeds of 1/33 second or faster. This is only a rule of thumb (as some people hold a camera steadier than others, and some may require even faster shutter speeds).But, it'sdifficult to get a photo without motion blur from camera shake at shutter speeds of 1/8 second. Of course, if you have moving subjects, a tripod won't help -- you'll need to use a flash.

Here is a table that shows how long the camera must keep the shutter open in different lighting conditions. It's based on ISO 100. So, each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast. Your lens has a maximum available aperture of f/2.8 (typical for a small camera).

In other words, to get shutter speeds up to around 1/32 second in typical indoor lighting, you'd need to shoot at ISO 400. ISO speed is settable in your camera. However, the higher the ISO speed, the higher the noise levels. So, you'll have very grainy photos at ISO 400.

If you decide to try using higher ISO speeds, there are some noise reduction tools to help reduce it's appearance. One free tool is the Community Edition of Noiseware, downloadable from http://www.imagenomic.com

Chances are, your old S20 was boosting ISO speed to a higher level usingAuto ISOwithout a flash. But, it's sensor was larger and less dense (it used a 3MP 1/1.8" CCD). So, the photosites for each pixel were larger, and noise would not have been as bad at higher ISO speeds.

A higher resolution model with a smaller sensor, means that each photosite will be smaller, too (since you're trying to fit more of them into the sensor), requiring more amplification for equivalent ISO speed, since the smaller photosites are unable to gather as much light. This amplification adds noise (like trying to turn the volume up on a weak radio station, only you get image noise, versus hum and hiss). This is one of the tradeoffs for a high resolution camera with a small sensor -- they don't do quite as well indoors without a flash. So, the manufacturers would not normally increase ISO speed to 400 using Auto ISO with a newer model.

Your best bet indoors with a modern subcompact camera is to use a flashor a tripod (if your subjects are stationary), keeping ISO speed set low.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the answer..
castra is offline   Reply With Quote