Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:36 PM   #11

Looks like a Kodak rip-off.....it's been done.:angry:
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:54 PM   #12

But the D700 that this camera is based on is from 1999...hardly a Kodak ripoff.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:59 PM   #13

1. No Hot Shoe

2. No Carl Zeiss Lens

3. No filp-out LCD

4. Doesn't accept CF Cards

5. Colors of that of the Canon 300D
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 5:52 PM   #14

Sony doesn't need to rip off any other digital camera company. They are the ones who provide the technology for other manufacturers. Sony's been there done that with almost every kind of non-SLR digital camera out there. And for the digital SLRs.... it is Sony's CCD chip in the Canons and Nikons.

With that said, the H1 is not for me. I prefer my F828 and am waiting for the replacement model. I don't like that the H1 has a smaller CCD, I don't understand what Sony is doing with that! It does not make sense. And I don't like that it doesn't have a Carl Zeiss lens. However, many others will like it for the huge zoom and image stabilizer (ie; "Steady Shot")
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:02 PM   #15

Some of you have judged the horse before it's even been put on a track. Sure, it's obvious that it would be nice to have a hotshoe there. It's NOT so obvious whether the glass is good, and how good. A name alone does not guarantee great glass (indeed, some cameras have had mediocre or worse glass with some renowned names badged on them). So the verdict is still out, there... And I certainly haven't seen any indication of its repeat-shooting, bootup, or autofocus performance yet...

I actually would like to have a long shooter with stabilization. But I'd also like a) live histogram b) swivel LCD c) fast memory buss and big buffer, fast shutter speed and bootup and autofocus d) wouldn't mind a RAW mode e) no Memory Stick unless Memory Stick actually becomes price competitive. Hah-hah. Sony just loves to flog proprietary media at exhorbitant prices. With otherwise superior products they often manage to shoot themselves in the foot in this regard.... The Panasonic FZ had most of this (was pretty decent at fast snapping, indeedy).

Because casual long zoom is attractive to me, I tried out the Panasonic FZ20 for a week and in some areas it was amazing. What ultimately let me down was the hue skew or skin tones and skies. But according to a reputable online dealer the FZ series has been leaping off the shelves in droves. With very few returns. So evidently not everybody wants higher megapixel point-and-click compacts with whimpy 3x zoom.

I too had hoped for an F828 successor (with more zoom with less purple, maybe a bigger imager, faster walks-and-chews-gum at the same time operation), an LCD that also swiveled for portrait orientation, maybe some IMAGE STABILIZATION so long zooming wasn't relegated to studied tripod use but could be more "guerilla" - the 8 megapizels actually don't matter to me particularly since big prints aren't my main focus. But other consumer creeps toward SLR-like features and performance are very much on my dancecard.
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote