Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:58 AM   #1

Have a DSC-P51. After a download to PC, it stopped showing images in the LCD. When I shoted, the memory stick led activated, but the files were some 39 k, and of course, the 'picture' was all black. The technician confirmed my guess: the CDD was gone. Because the repair is near 50 % the purchase cost, I would like to know what may have caused the damage, to avoid it in the future. The camera was not dropped, and even if 1.5 year old, I taked no more than 500 photos.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"May be an over voltage through the USB connection ?
mnicolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:30 AM   #2

The only thing I can come up with is that it could have been pointed at the sun for quite some time. The lens will then work as a magnifying-glass. It will burn the CCD.

If that didn't happen, then I do not know the cause.
Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:22 PM   #3

One pretty possible cause for such damage may be electrostatic discharge (ESD). If the air is dry, simple rubbing of your body against clothmay generate several thousands volts.The computer is grounded, soif you're holding the camera in one hand andconnect the USB cable to it (or to the computer) the charge in your body will discharge through the camera and the cable to the ground, possible damaging sensitive parts(in this cas,e the CCD sensor). The remedy is to touch a grounded metal object (the case of your computer, for example) prior to touching the camera.
sjlivson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:36 PM   #4

I'm not sure about the CCD on the P51, but I know a very common problem is the shutter getting stuck shut. I'm not sure what kind of tests the technician did to the camera, but if it is the shutter you might want to try tapping the camera against the palm of your hand or a firm surface while it is powering up and see if this frees the shutter.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:34 AM   #5

Thank you. The camera was notpointing to sun, but that seems avery important caution to take.

Regarding the shutter being stuck: how could you tell before dismantling ? The technician (authorized by SONY) told me, before dismantling, that two or three others DSP-Pxx with no image had simple troubles ( dont remember exactly ). After dismantling, he exposed the CCD to ligth, but no signal was generated. And,connecting the CCD from another camera to mine, it worked.

I don't posted the complete story. After the image download/deletion, I disconnected the camera, and power on trying to drain the batteries. On power on, the LCD showed 'memory stick error', and no image,except the control icons. I formatted the memory stick, resetted the camera, etc, but the image dont went up.

The LCD was near white, with a ligth pink vertical strip on the rigth side.

Because of simultaneous 'troubles', I'm suspecting on USB voltages from the PC.
mnicolet is offline   Reply With Quote