Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:47 PM   #1

Planning to purchase a V3 this week. But somewhat confused as to what Memory to buy--any advantage to Memory Stick Pro over Compact Flash? Will the camera process faster with higher speed memory devices?
Also--much has been made in reviews about Red Eye. If that is such a problem, which of the 2 auxiliary flash units (HVL-F1000 or HVL-F32)would be better? I notice there is a $50 difference between them but I do not know why.
Any advice gratefully received.

Chauncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:06 PM   #2

I have a V3 and have both the Sony MSX-512N pro stick and the sandisk CF512 type-I . I would think the pro stick would be faster. I also have the F32X flash which you can buy new in sealad box on ebay for $135.00 + shipping, they are on ebay all the time. As far as the CF only type-I will work according to Sony and Sandisk.PS....the F32X will make a big diff for flash shots.
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:38 PM   #3

I use both CF and memory sticks. I have a 512mb memory stick pro in case I want to capture video...you can only capture highest quality video onto a memory stick pro. Otherwise I normaly capture to the CF card (a 1 gig Sandisk Ultra). CF cards are cheaper, so unless you to plan to take alot of video, I would stock up on CF cards, simply based on the cost savings. I haven't noticed a huge difference in capture speed between mem sticks, regular CF cards, or high speed CF cards. Unless your taking rapid fire pics (sports, action photos--which aren't a strength of this cam, or any othernon DSLR digicam) I don't think you'll notice any difference in capture performance.

I wholeheartedly recommend the 32x flash. It is more powerfull,has more features than the F1000, and communicates through the hotshoe, rather than a cable (which could easily be lost). I got mine off Ebay for under $150, shipping included. The ability to bounce the flash really improves your pictures, and completely eliminates red-eye. Even without bounce, red eye is reduced simply because the flash is moved further away from the lens. The stronger flash also helps reduce noise by better exposing backgrounds in indoor shots, and allowing the use of a lower ISO.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote