Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:51 AM   #1

im new to digi cams, W1 is my first cam and i love it so far, only one thing... i cant seem to find out how to take a picture of something in motion?

what settings should i use?

im planning on taking pictures of cars going from 5-60 mph and i couldnt even get a clear shot of my friend just jumping in the air.

any help is helpful thank u
travlswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:04 PM   #2

As Albert Einstein would have reminded you (if he was here) everything is relative!

Shutter speed is certainly important if you want to stop action and how fast your shutter speed has to be depends on the angle at which your subjects are approaching you. A car coming straight for you doesn't move much relative to your field of view and so your shutter speed doesn't have to be as fast as when the car is passing directly across your field of view. You will likely get a blurred car and a clear background becausethe car has a lot of motion relative to the camera!

Of course, this is assuming a STATIONARY camera and a moving car. What happens if you move the camera as the car passes...keeping it in the viewfinder...while you take the shot? The car will be moving AND the camera will be moving with it...relative motion will be less...however, the background will be blurred because the camera will have a lot of motion relative to the background. This technique is called 'panning'..moving thecamera with the subject.

In photographig REALLY fastobjects (like bullets)...'panning' of course won't work...you can't move the camera fast enough and you won't be able to have a fast enough shutter speed to stop the bullet. In those cases, they use a very bright strobe that illuminates the bullet for a tiny fraction of a second and freezes the action that way.

Using a flash is how I caught my young nephew in mid-leap:

So there are lots of ways to capture motion but they all require preparation and planning to work.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:10 PM   #3

The best setting I've found for moving objects is 1/400 of a second. Your W1 will go up to 1/1000 of a second. Here is a picture I took with the P200 at a setting of 1/400 of a second and with forced flash on. You need a flash if you're taking moving pics indoors with a high shutter speed. Be sure to press the shutter button halfway to hear the beep of the focus locking and then continue to press all the way down. Even for motion photography.
Attached Images
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:56 AM   #4

I have a question related to Shutter speed...

In manual mode thw W1 can go up to 1/1000, but in AUTO mode, outside, with bright sun on snow it went up to 1/2000!?

I was quite suprised and only noticed it when I was reviewing my "quick-snaps" with the information on-screen.

Any information would be apprciated!

Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 2:19 PM   #5

Is this a new camera? If so, you might want to exchange it for the V1 instead (like I did). The pictures below were taken with the V1 on AUTO with No modifications whatsoever . I owned the W1 for a couple of weeks and it didn't like ANY movement (from subject OR photographer).

kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:38 PM   #6

I don't know if I agree, I've had the W1 for a couple of months and it's taken some practice but it certainly can handle movement. I took some pics of a waving flag and it had no blur problems.
Nocontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:50 PM   #7

Yes, I've never had blur problems with my W1. It has high speed settings and 1/400 of a second is fast enough for almost anything! But it will go even higher.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:03 PM   #8

Hey Kski, do you know if it's possible to use 1/400 indoors with no flash or is it generally not enough light?
Nocontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:56 AM   #9

Not enought light, if I may answer.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:43 PM   #10

Note: I'm copying this from an older thread. So, please excuse anything that's not applicable or has already been covered. ;-)

What is bright to the human eye is not to a camera's lens.

The shutter speed a camera can use depends on the amount of light available (which is very low in typical indoor lighting), the aperture of the lens, and the ISO speed.

Indoors with many models, you'll need to use a flash or a tripod (if shooting a stationary subject). Otherwise, the shutter speeds will be too slow to prevent motion blur from camera shake and/or subject movement.

Shutter speed with a flash in low light is not as critical. This is because the flash burst is very short (usually shorter than 1/1000 second).

Since the subject is not usually exposed well enough for proper exposure exceptfor the very short flash duration, the flash itself has the impact of freezing the action in lower light.

I often seta little Konica pocket camera I use to 1/15 second indoors (and this is fine for freezing actionat lower ISO speeds in many indoor lighting conditions at ISO 50 or 100). If you have a lot of ambient light present (for example, light coming in through windows in the daytime), then you may need to go with shutter speeds faster than this (to prevent getting any exposure from ambient light that could cause motion blur).

For outdoor use, shutter speeds are usually much faster. But, the shutter speed a camera needs for proper exposure is still dependent on the available light, aperture of the lens (with smaller f/stop numbers indicating larger available apertures), and the ISO speed (which controls the sensitivity of the sensor to light).

If using flash or a tripod is is simply not desired (and/or you have a moving subject that you need faster shutter speeds for), you canincrease the ISO speed to get faster shutter speeds. Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast.

However, this will give youhigher noise levels (similar to film grain). A free tool to help reduce the appearance of noise is the Community Edition of Noiseware. You can download it from http://www.imagenomic.com

There are alsosomegood commercial products available for reducing noise when shooting at higher ISO speeds is needed. Here are a couple:

Now, if you're using a model with an aperture priority (Av) mode outside, setting it to the largest aperture (smallest f/stop number) will allow the camera to select the fastest shutter speed available (while still insuring proper exposure).

To get an idea of how ISO speed, Aperture and EVimpact the shutter speeds needed for proper exposure in various conditions, see thisexposure calculator (set film speed to the ISO speed you're selecting):

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote