Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:54 AM   #1

I love the movie quality of my Sony DSC-W1 and take tons of video of mostly my baby daughter. I use Sonic MyDVD program to burn my Sony movie files to DVD, however, that program has problems with the mpeg files (I believe they are mpeg-1), so currently I have to convert all my Sony movies over to WMV files via Microsoft MovieMaker program, which is very time consuming (it does compress the files by about 1/3 of the original size which is good, with very little degredation), but it takes a long time to convert all of these files.

Does anyone use a different/better program for burning their Sony camera movies over to DVD (complete with decent menu's, labels, etc) that works no problem with these original mpeg files? I'd like to try another program (preferably freeware) if someone can recommend one.

jmk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:07 PM   #2

I agree with you, the W1 takes great movies for a digicam. I actually make my one short clips & use them as a background video on the menus of my personal DVD's I use Nero. I know ther are plenty of people who will argue against it, but it works great. Plus the fact the W1 encodes in mpeg-1, Nero uses a Smart transcoding feature that is able to transcode to Mpeg-2 in no time. a 5 minute movie takes maybe 1-2 minutes to transcode. Its really fast, & I'm using a 4 year old computer to do it.

Another program to convert is VSO's DivxtoDVD. It re-encodes most video formats. & its freeware (Version 0.5 at least is). However this will only converty to Mpeg-2 only and takes roughly 10 minutes to convert 5 min of Mpeg-1 its much much faster with Divx to Mpeg-2 transfers. Good Luck.
Juice_22 is offline   Reply With Quote