Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:42 AM   #1

Hello guys,

I have a Sony W5 and I'm very happy whith it, but...

In the finest video mode (640 fine with MS Pro card) the camera seems to focus and unfocus the moving object (a plane for example), the object looks sharp, then looks blurred and the get sharp again in the same movie.

I think that is not normal, as I can't use the zoom in movie mode.

Anyone has this problem in a Sony camera?
a.saiote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:00 AM   #2

hey mate,
my gf was using my camera and said smethng similar about the movie mode, bcse i hardly use it for this i havent seen it myself, but i wil look into it.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:48 PM   #3

DonĀ“t choose automatic focus. Select 0,5 ; 1; 3; or 7 m and try it again the video.
paquidermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:14 AM   #4

yes, definetely do not use autofocus in the movie mode because it will hunt constantly and spoil the video, as youve observed. Ill second paquidermosuggestion about manually setting focus to whatever value seems closest. And don't worry about the focus value not being exactly right - in my opinion and experience the relatively low resolution of the movie mode (compared to stills) conceals all but the most egregiously incorrectfocus settings.

(Ill also add that i think sony's manual focus mechanism sucks compared to Canon's and Idont recommend using it for stills, but i digress...)

as for being unable to zoom w/ video, that's normal. most still cams dont let you change zoom while youre shooting video, but you should be able to zoom before you start shooting and then shoot video while zoomed-in/out....
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:27 AM   #5

I am also faced Similar video focusing problem in my sony W5. The said problem is happening only when the macro mode is enabled while taking the movie. After disebling the macro mode the problem vanishes. The problem happening in still objects with a tripod mounting condition also. I am very satisfied with the movie as well as the stills. Oustanding pictures I have taken with this camera in macro mode as well as other P modes. In indoor very low light (incadecent lamp), white balencing is not perfect. Otherwise it is a great camera, in excellant focusing speed and there is no shutter lag compares to similar models from other manufactures.

Roy Paul, Trivandrum
www133 is offline   Reply With Quote