Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:51 AM   #1

Yesterday I purchased the Sony DSC-P200 camera and now I find myself sucked into the world of accessories. The camera uses a NP-FR1 InfoLithium R Seriesrechargeable battery. Sony and most electronic stores are selling an additional battery for $59.99. I have found a compatitble battery pack for as little as $12.00 on Ebay, mainly coming from overseas. I would like to purchase an additional battery and charging cradle independent of the camera and don't know if it is a "no-no" to go non-factory and are these battery prices too good to be true?? Also if anyone owns this camera,I would like to here your opinions/advice on the camera to further reduce buyers remorse?? Thank you in advance for your help....JC
jmcary02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:46 AM   #2

Those prices are, in a way, too good to be true.

The genuine "info-lithium" batteries have chips in them so the camera can tell you the state of charge. Back several months ago many of the non-name batteries were being made to differing standards and there were quite a few reports of melted/burned cell phones, cameras, notebooks, etc. While things may have changed recently, I would remain distrustful of no-name batteries.

Soooo ... at this point in time I would stick with NAME BRAND replacements and since this is your first go-around with digital, stick with your camera's brand.

You can often find, for example, an accessory or (Sony brand name in Sony factorypackaging) "starter" kit for Sony cameras that includes a case, memory stick, and extra battery on-line for the cost of the battery alone. Use a price-check engine like streetprices.com and then order from a well-rated vendor (usually not the lowest priced vendor).
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 5:30 PM   #3

you should only buy genuine sony batteries. you can get a real one on ebay for $25 shipped (or less). it's worth it.
kenrippy is offline   Reply With Quote