Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:41 PM   #1

Anyone tried using P200 (straight out of the box... not modified) for the infrared photography ?

If so which filter did they use ? Any special settings we would have to do like very slow shutter speed ?

P200 as I know doesn't have a night shot mode.

Please reply... Thanks in advance...
ritesh_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:39 AM   #2

Anybody ? I guess no one tried IR photography with unmodified P200.

If anyone has, please let me know. I really want to try this out but not sure if P200 supports IR.

Step-up rings + Filter is atleast $50. So worth checking if you have succesfully done so.

Good Day,
ritesh_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:52 PM   #3

I have NOT tried IR with the P200. I have been successful with other, non-nightshot Sonydigitals, however.If you could borrow a Hoya R72 and tube-adapter or step rings you could try. I know allthreepoint-and-shoot Sonydigitals I have (p-30, P-9, S70)will "see" IR through that filter, but the exposure is extremely long so you MUST use a tripod. Period.

I believe you will get some IR results, but the exposures will be longer than you like (to the tune of several seconds).

Now, withmy F828, using nightshot and an ND8+R72 stack (you are locked into 1/30 at f2.8 with the F828 in nightshot mode)I can get excellent results.I still have to run the image through PhotoShop or similar to get rid of the greenish nightshot tinge (or deep red with long, non-nightshot exposures).

On the other hand, an ND 400 (read very expensive 58mm filter!) by itself removes virtually all visible light (but some remains) andI can make nice IR shots with light, etherialpastel colors showing through here and there without using nightshot.

Hope this helps.

On edit, I attached a handheld, nothing done to it except crop and resize, desaturate,and compress for this site, R72+ND8+Polarizer shot with my F828 a couple of days ago. The P9 does similar, but must be tripod mounted using the R72 only and a long exposure.

Attached Images
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote