Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:23 PM   #1

When you put your camera in Manual mode and change the ISO settings for example: does this have an impact on other settings in the end result?

For example If I'm shooting at night and say I lower my ISO setting, then what will happen to the aperture results? How do you really know when to do what?

Sometimes when I take pictures in my room at night which is an off white badge, the pictures tends to have a yellowtint. Now I can fix this in Photoshop but then you risk the change of false color reproduction in the grain of your image.

I would think this would be a matter of setting the white balance? If I understand the book correct, when you point at a white piece of paper to set your white balance, doses the sheet of paper need to fill the entire viewing screen on your camera?

Starstreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:21 AM   #2

Yes, one setting affects another. Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_stop. There are many more similar sites that will explain the interrelationships in far more detail or provide useful charts, etc.

In general (I know it was only your example), why wouldone want to lowerthe ISO at night? That is, in effect,lowering the "film's" sensitivity to light.The camerawouldset a large aperture and very long exposures. A large aperture means a shallower depth of field -- your focus must be exact. And of course a slow (long) shutter speed means more chance of shake or motion blur. On the other hand, a high ISO, in general terms,increases light sensitivity but increases grain (noise) as well.

As for setting white balance, you can do that using almost any plain or very blurred area ... even the palm of your hand in a pinch withsome cameras. An old fashioned "gray card" works just fine, as does a white wall. White balance comes into play primarily when you are adjusting manually for tungsten or fluorescent lighting, sunlight vs. street light, etc. In auto mode your camera does a very good job automatically. Dittomanual mode, but with some older cameras setting white balance can be a necessity. (Interesting point: if you shoot RAW (more expensive cameras), the saved file is exactly as the image sensor sees it and you would have to make the adjustments after the fact using software.)

Hope this points you in the right direction ... your simple question, one that many ask,has resulted in whole books on the subject! Since little has changed (other than automation and the replacement of film with digital methods) with the basics of photography, any good photography book at a library would be worth the read!

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote