Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 7, 2005, 5:21 PM   #1
Administrator

Sony Australia, Sony UK, Sony Phillipines, Sony Malaysia, Sony Ireland and more all made a similar an announcement impacting a limitednumber ofSonydigital cameras. Here is a quote from Sony Australia. Other Sony sites have similar notices.

Notice to Owners of Sony Digital Cameras

Quote:
It has recently come to our attention that a limited number of Sony products that incorporate an image sensor device, or CCD, manufactured from October 2002 through March 2004 may exhibit the following condition:

When the product is used in camera mode, the LCD panel and/or electronic viewfinder exhibits either a distorted image or no image.

We have determined that this condition only occurs to a limited number of units, but may be accelerated if the units are exposed to high temperature and humidity environment.

In our efforts to ensure customer satisfaction, Sony will offer free out of warranty repair to the owners of applicable products exhibiting the above-mentioned condition.

For further information including the applicable products, please click on the following links to the respective product categories:
Similar notices can be found by selecting one of the models impacted on the Sony US Web Site. For example, THIS PAGE for the DSC-V1. You canchange to a different model from the menu on the page.

Quote:
Important Notice About Your Sony Product
Posted: 10/03/2005

Thank you for your support and patronage of Sony products.

It has recently come to our attention that a limited number of products, manufactured prior to March 2004, that incorporate a certain type of image sensor device (CCD) may exhibit the following:
[/*]
  • When the product is used in camera mode, the LCD panel and/or electronic viewfinder exhibits either a distorted image or no image at all. [/*]
We have determined that this only occurs in a limited number of devices, but may be accelerated if they are exposed to hot and humid environments.

From October 3, 2005 through October 2, 2007, Sony will repair, free of charge, affected products exhibiting the above-mentioned problem where it is caused by the image sensor device. Sony will also cover the cost of shipping and handling to service to correct this issue.

Please contact the Sony Customer Information Services Center for further assistance at 1-866-703-7669.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:14 AM   #2

A friend of mine has the F707, this problem happened to his when it was 3 years old. It just happened to my F717 the past weekend. I contacted Sony and they sent me a UPS call tag to send it in for service. That's why I like Sony they stand behind their products. My camera is 2 and a half years old, a year and a half out of warranty and they are going to fix it. I was going to post this info on the forum today and was happy to see that it was already here. Thanks for the good info.

Chuck

DSC-F717

CMassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:16 PM   #3

Is this a CCD problem you think? im not sure when this camera was built, its a DSC S75 but it seems to have the symptoms of a faulty CCD.

BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:49 PM   #4

yea...

this is the CCD problem, i have a minolta dimage 7I and it has the same problem, but is not only for sony, there are around 80 digital cameras models with this fault. you can see more info about this at:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113036700399480540-a19XaVrSzPcGNlv5Gmp_TgcLE_E_20061027.html

fiteb
fiteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:07 AM   #5

Yep - I just saw that problem in my F717 .....

I am never buying a Sony camera ever again .... !!

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:03 PM   #6
Administrator

It's not just Sony cameras. Sony is the largest supplier of sensors used in Digital Cameras.

At the same time I posted this notice, I also posted notices about models from Canon, Pentax, Konica-Minotla, Fuji, Nikon and other manufacturers.

If you buy a Digital Camera from just about anyone, there is a very good chance it's got a Sony sensor in it.

Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:24 AM   #7

I wish to inform all the members of this forum that sony India service centre has repaired free of cost without any shipping charges my out of warrenty sony dsc f 717 camera showing the problem of distorted image due to ccd failure.Thanks to sony for good service.At present my camers is workingwell.
vpgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 11:03 AM   #8

Hi Guys,

I have a Sony F717, paid 900 bucks for the sucker little bit after it came out, just died on me this weekend. Called up Sony from their number for digital video and imaging and they were REALLY COOL about it.

After running me through some level one techy tests over the phonethey established that it was the CCD that was defectiveand gave me that UPS sticker thats supposed to come in the email, soI guess i'll write back whenI get it (the ups sticker), and then again, when they send my camera back repaired!

I PRAY TO GOD they can't repair it and tell me they had to upgrade my camera to an R1

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

Links to this problem:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/new...mp;news_id=118

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/suppor...pl?template=EN (global phone number page)

Digital Camera and Video Phone Number 1 800 222 7669 - it's automated, just say your model number, then "no" to accessories, then "no" to connection problems, then "picture" for ccd issues. Its that easy!

HopeI helped.....

Sebastian
Attached Images

drstanescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 5:42 PM   #9
Administrator

Actually, one of our forum members recently bought a DSC-F717 on Ebay that had a CCD problem. Sony repaired it for them at no charge.

Sorry, but I don't think you'll get an R1 out of the deal. :-)

Old May 15, 2006, 5:01 PM   #10

Hello Everyone,

Well I recieved the UPS sender tag. Packed up the camera and nothing else (no battery, no memstick) and shipped it today. Let's see how long its gonna take. :G

Take care,

Sebastian
drstanescu is offline   Reply With Quote