Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:20 PM   #1

Hi Guys,

I am quite confusedabout Canon S2 IS and Sony H1.I read lots of reviews in the net but still cant decide that which one should Ibuy.I am not a pro photographer and mainly want to use my camera for holidays and family events.I want to know that which one of these will produce me sharp,crisp images.

I will be very much helpfull and greatfull,plz advice me.

sudarshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:56 AM   #2

I had the same problem since this morning when I finally decided to buy the Sony H1 instead of a Canon S1 IS.Both cameras are quite simmilar. I wouldhave been very happytobuy the Canon because it has a few issues thatSony doesn't have like: Itshots macro pictures from 0 cm, it has the articulated display which allows you to shot pictures in very difficult positions and situations (self portraits, backwards, outsite of a vehicle, over a crowd, etc), the colors seem more natural and the High ISO images look better than Sony's. The decisive reason of my choicewas purefinancial because I have bought the Sony camera and a512MB mem stick at the price of a Canon without extra-memory. If these cameras would have the same price, or very close price, I would definitely choose Canon.
buldozeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 5:47 AM   #3

just a quick look around the forums seems to lead the s2 to produce very soft images. In the canon forum there is a post from a s2 and some other cam. really soft. no idea y

i too when through a similar dilema with s2 and h1. then sorta prgoressed to s9500 and fz30. eventually ended at fz30.

BUT i gota say when i played with both the s2 and h1, i was very impressed with the feel, response, speed and image quality of the h1. This could b bcse i used to own a dscw5. very similar menus.

I had high expectations for the s2 coming from canon and i was not impressed. i too thought the images were a little soft and i think its a bit cheap not giving any rechargable batts and recharger for a higher price than the h1.

however i do think the feature is very cool that it can take hi res images while filming a video clip with zoom enabled.

tough choise mate, i would say go down and play with each. like i said i felt more comfortable with the h1.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote