Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 15, 2003, 2:56 PM   #1
Default Opinions on Sony DSC-F717 - PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am looking for a top quality 5MP digicam. In reading reviews and forums I noticed that there is NO perfect digicam. All models seem to have some sort of problem (focusing, noise, distortion, etc...) which is scary considering how much some of these digicams go for (especially in Canadian funds).

The only digicam that seems to be "close to perfect" is the Sony DSC-F717. The major complaint seems to be the memory stick media. I'd like to hear from DSC-F717 owners about this digicam. How is image quality? Most of my pics will be in low-light conditions (indoors) and will be mostly people pics. How is the DSC-F717 with skin tones, red-eye, color accuracy and detail in this situation? Would it be worth the money in purchasing the Sony HVL-F1000 flash? How do you manage pics using the Sony memory sticks?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:03 AM   #2

There is no perfect 5 meg camera, but the 717 is the best.
tom_myo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 7:50 PM   #3

I got the 717 as my third digital camera and I'm thinking that it just might be my last! I totally love the camera
magicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:01 PM   #4
Default Sony DSC-F717

I also recently got my 717 as the third digital camera and dedicated most of my time&skill to compare the new outcomes with the old ones.
As far as I'm concerned I only have one complaint: in certain indor artificial lighting conditions the camera couldn't get true color pictures on anything else but manual white ballance.
All other features are just marvelous.
My advice: go for it !
cosnaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 3:35 AM   #5
Default Sony 717 opinion

I have had the 717 about 6 months I think. It is my 4th digital camera. The sharpness of printed pictures at A4 is the equal of any print I have seen from any film camera. I have have 2 Nikons. So for me, the image quality it can produce is beyond criticism. I like the swivel body, I like the manual zoom, I like the close macro, I like access via buttons on the body. The enormous battery life with a proper life-left indicator is brilliant. [My Olympus things were always expiring with little or no warning]. The memory stick is not a problem to me. I have 4x128mb sticks and they did not break the bank. The read speed is slow but i do not care. I do not mind the size of this fairly bulky camera. What do I not like? The spot metering button and the white balance button are too easily nudged without noticing. Just a small irritation. I absolutely hate the draedful shutter lag even after a half press. I shoot a lot of model aircraft pictures, and I miss about two thirds of all out-of-the-hand point-of-launch shots, even with intelligent anticipation of the action. I have even thought about buying a second camera because of this. Under low light conditions the viewfinder follows a moving subject with herky-jerky action that is a bit annoying.

Overall, it is a very nice camera to use. The swivelling body with swivelling eye piece too, is absolute magic. Image quality is superb. It does have some barrel distortion at wide angle, but this is easily corrected with the correct photoshop plug-in. Shutter lag for my usage is absolutely dreadful.
I like the camera and will keep it for a good while.

I hope this honest opinion is some help.
kcemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 8:46 AM   #6
Default I agree

I agree with all of the above plus I just added the Sony 1.7 VCL-HGD1758 lens giving me a 8.5 optical and 17x zoom. since the Sony has a much better digital zoom that most of the other cameras out there, I am very pleased even if it does now weigh 3 and 1/2 pounds.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 4:01 PM   #7

I recomend the f717
Causeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 1:46 PM   #8
Default 717 digital camera

I am a new member to this forum and also the recent purchaser of the DSC- F717. I had a Fuji digital camera before but there is absolutely no comparison. I thought the Fuji was good but the Sony is brilliant, easily get 10 by 8 prints (thats as large as my printer will Go) and the quality is amazing. Most of the controls are quite logical and seem to follow on easily from my use of a Canon EOS 35mm camera, whereas the Fuji was all buttons and complicated menues. it seems that if there is a feature that you think you might need on a digicam it will be on the Sony somewhere and the menu system on it seems quite logical to me to be able to find it, especially after using the Fuji. So deifinitely the Sony is it. :lol: :lol:
geoff.rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2003, 4:29 AM   #9
Default Still one more testimonial

Take all the posted comments and add my firm amen!

I've read on this model endlessly, purchased it confidently, and shoot with it daily. I've now moved from analysis to the simple joy of creative use. Easily beat the Nikon Coolpix 5700 due to the brilliant focus issue alone.
Shimm is offline   Reply With Quote