Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:33 AM   #1

I got myself a Sony DSC H1 camera about 2 months and it has run into

1. When the camera is shut off the lens does not retract by itself and
come back.
2. When I put the camera into replay mode the LCD and the viewfinder
screen both switch off.

Based on inputs that I have received so far, I have tried the following:
1. Put freshly charged NiMH, sony supplied and charged on Sony supplied charger into the camera. Problem continues.

2. Reset the camera through the menu ( as per page 59 ). Issues unresolved.:sad:
I must also mention that I have been using the camera as intended when
this occured.

Venkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:40 AM   #2

Continuing the saga of my Sony DSC H1, last Saturday I found the Sony Service Center here in Mumbai. I use the word found rather deliberately here.

Let me explain.

The web site of Sony gave an address of what we will call Location 1. I knew the place, having been in that locality quite a few times before. I went there to find that there was not trace of a Sony center which I knew clearly existed until some time back.

I parked my car and made enquiries to be told that the Center had been shifted to Location 2 down the road. I skivvied over there, parked my car to find that the signboard was there but along with that a huge notice that the center had moved to Location 3.

I again moved over to Location 3 and found that they had closed for the day.

This was on Friday the 23rd. On Saturday the 24th I went back there during office hours.

I was told that the warranty card is valid for US and not for India. Anyway they took it in and told me that there would be charge to estimate and give a repair quote. I agreed to a charge of Rs 413/- which is less that $ 10/-.

Today, Tuesday I got a call from them. Seems that the zoom mechanism is spoilt. Being not covered under and Indian warranty the damages would come to about Rs 19,000/- which is approx $ 425/-

Hey I could be buying a new one for that kind of money. I have decided to pick it back and see how I can send it to the US so that it can be done under warranty.

Venkat is offline   Reply With Quote