Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:38 AM   #1

a friend of mine has had his H1 for about a month now and has been taking a lot of shots and experimenting but is a little over whelmed with the program booklet that came with the camera, lots to read he says.

He says during indoor basketball games there is a huge delay taking shots and wonders how he can improve this. I told him that I had read a little about improving shots on this forum and pre set focus range, a mono pod or even a faster writing memory card would help. I even told him he might try the burst modes. He says the photos are either of something he wasn't shooting or they are blurry.

Any H1 users who could leave some advice so I could give him would be greatly appreciated.

These bball games are well lit but he can't get the camera to take the shot when he needs it too. any setting or advice on action shots would be great

spintight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2006, 5:19 AM   #2

Actually, gyms are really poorly lit. Although they look bright to us, to a camera they are quite dark. In order to be successful taking pics in a gym you need to do a few things...

1. Shoot at your widest aperature to let the most light in. Unfortunately this will mean shooting at your shortest focal length...the aperature gets progressively smaller as you zoom in, therefore letting in less light.

2. bump the iso up as high as it will go. This will allow faster shutter speeds and freeze action better. Of course this will result in more grain, and require a pass through noise reduction software like neat image or noise ninja.

3. Set the camera to burst mode and continous focus. This will allow you to shoot several pics as long as you hold the shutter button down.

You're results will still be mixed, but you should be able to get a few keepers. Unfortunately, indoor action shots are not a strength of this camera (or any P&S consumer level digicam).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote