Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:29 PM   #1

Hey all,

I got a Sony DSC-M1 for Christmas and I love it, but it seems as though every single picture I take is blurry. If I am taking a picture and I move just slightly or what I am taking a picture of moves......the picture turns out blurry. It has been doing that more often too, so if you all have any ideas what might be causing this, please please let me know....

stang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:44 PM   #2

Make sure the flash is on for indoor shots.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:01 PM   #3

Yeah most of the time the flash is on.....now that I think about it that could have been the problem, but I am not sure??
stang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 4:04 AM   #4

Are you using the lcd or viewfinder ro take the pics?

Using the viewfinder usually cuts down on some shaking.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:43 AM   #5

blurry photos are the result of slow shutter speeds.

the reason the cam reduces the shutter speed is because the photo you are composing is often poorly lit and by reducing the shutter speed this allows the cam to capture more light. Now because the shutter is opened longer this means that you the user and the subject have to stay stil longer. any movement in the cam of the subject will result in motion blurring.

now some ways to minimise blur, or in other words maximise possible shutter speeds.

1) Increase you iso level. Now by increasing your iso level this increases the sensitivity of the ccd. This means tht the ccd needs less time to capture the equivalent amount of light. therefore reducing your shutter time therefore increasing shutter speed therefore minimising the chances of blur. now the flipside is the higher you run your iso level the more noise will be present in your images. So hi iso means higher shutter speeds, meaning less motion blur BUT higher noise in overall image. ofcourse this can be easily remidied as long your shot isnt too noisey by using the likes of noise ninja (part of pp) or neat image which are both downloadable.

2) Use widest f stop (lowest number) Most cams offer an fstop as low as 2.8. use the lowest number possible. this means that the actual opening of the lense is larger thereofre letting more light into the cam and increasing shutter speeds blah bla bla. The flipside to wide aptre is you get a very limited depth of field. meaning that only you main subject and maybe only a slight portion of your background wil be in focus. so this woud no be recomended if you were taking a family shot down a long diner table as only the first couple of ppl will be in focus.

3) Enable the flash. By defalut most cams will increase the shutter speed to around 1/30 when in flash mode. This is usually a fast enought shutter to avoid any blurring issues.

4) Try to atleast make the cams life a little easier by taking photos in wel lit areas preferably with natural light as ths responds well with the ccd.

5) Steady posture and using view finder wen taking photos. Using the view finder will often give you better posture when holding the ccam and you can rest it against your face too. try leaning against a wall to give more stablity.

6) A combination of the above and you will be sorted. I mean just with the correct posture i can take clean clear and sharp photos at shutter speeds as low as 1/6.

Make sure you are not in a manual mode as you migt be forcing the cam to run at a lo shutter speed and also make sure you are not in Shutter priority as you might also be forcing the cam to run ata low speed. this could also be the case if you are in app priority and you are forcing the cam to run in a narrow fstop.

Just run the cam in "P" mode at a hi iso (iso 400+) and see how tht goes. if stil no luck try higher iso (if available on your model cam) or kick in the flash

hope this helps

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote