Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:06 AM   #1

I purchased a Sony DSC-W50 camera a couple of weeks ago, I love the camera!

I don't really like using Auto mode as I don't always want it set in FINE, so I use Program Auto. The default setting is Multi-Point AF, my question is when im in a light situation (outside), green boxes come up when i focus. The problem is they seem to focus on any random thing, not what is closest to me. Do these boxes focus on an object making everything else out of focus?

Example: If i was taking a photo of 2 people, when i focus a green focus box appears on the tree further back and off to the side. when i take the photo will the camera have focused on the tree making the 2people less clear?

I'm hoping that the boxes dont really mean anything because they never go on what i want them to go on, the manual is scarce on this topic!

bpcrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:17 AM   #2

First, why not pick fine quality? That the greatest offered.:|

It's a contrast detect focus system. It found the trees a tad easier to focus on in the situation you describe.

Just to add.The multi af makes the camera decide where to focus.It could be to the left, or right,with the center and top also.Any combination. It more complicated than it looks to be. The best way to focus is to find a contrast on your subject and use center focus. :G
qball is offline   Reply With Quote