Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:05 PM   #1

I was actually looking to get a Rebel XT or a 30D, but just a few minutes ago I stumbled across a posting on another site about the R1. The person said if you come here and put that photo of the brick building on the samples page up, and next to it put up the same vantage point from the new Nikon d200 review they have on here, the R1 images actually look better! I did it and they were right! That's pretty impressive.

Next to each other, the R1 building looked just a bit more true to color and a little sharper than the same building photo taken with the d200 Nikon. My wife picked the R1 over the other as her favorite without looking at what was taken with which. I know DSLR photos depend on the lens used, but considering that R1 can be had for less than half of what that Nikon costs with a lens of any kind, I think it's a pretty good deal.

A very good friend and neighbor of mine down the street is really really into digital cameras. I know he uses a Canon DSLR and he's taught me a lot, but I do know he's a "canon person" overall, so I want to ask for unbiased opinions. I need to take jobsite photos of construction projects. They need to be detailed images and they need to be blown up to around 16 by 20 in size and still show a good amount of details on things like bricks, wood, etc. The closeup ability doesn't matter as the photos will be of buildings outside {mostly} at around 50 feet back from the front. I have the option and funds to get either a Canon XT with one really good lens, a Canon 30D and use a borrowed 50mm Canon lens, or now, I have the R1 option.

With an upcoming rebate I can get the XT and one good lens for around $1300. The 30D for about the same or the R1 for around $850, which would be cheaper for sure, but again, "top notch detailed" image quality is my biggest concern. Any other features are secondary. This will be used for other things too, but not for things like action or sports, so DSLR speed is not really necessary.

Is the R1 the one I should #really# be looking for instead of the Canons? Be unbiased now, I'm relying on neutral opinions.
richardj30127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:27 AM   #2

wooow this is a really tough decision mate

i mean with sony rolling out ther new range of cams which are faster, using ther latest cmos ccd technology and the latest glass from carl zeisis its hard to look past it. Unfortunately we arent due to have one of these bad boys for anohter couple of weeks but everyting told to us by sony sounds very impressive.

I think if we are looking at a value for money game for sure i thnk the sony would be the way to go. It has a prime combination of lense. processor and ccd to create stunning images.

at the same time canon simply mke amazing cams. I have had the opportunity to mess with both the canon 350d and the 20d and they are both amazing cams. i loved using both of em and the pic quality was superb. Very sharp and accurate colour reproduction. I think they were both using a 18-55 lense. For the first time user it is a litle more difficult to use as ther is no real time previews for exposure etc due to the nature of the slr. Also to get equivalent focal range as the sony the canon is almost looking twice as big.

Memory card will also be cheper for the canon using the ol campact flash over mem stick. But with the cash you wil save i don thtink mem stick wil be an issue.

At the end of the day i had to make a similar decision. Comparing the 350d which was almost twice the price to the pana fz30. I ended up going for the fz30 souly bcse it was a one stop solution and much easier on the pocket.

R1 sounds likea stunning cam and i look foward to using it soon. Im sure it willprovide you withexceptional results.

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:08 AM   #3

The R1 would be outstanding for what you plan to do (jobsite construction projects)... grab it and shoot with no fiddling with lenses or worrying about dust getting on the sensor, for example.

While I have and use several brands and types of pro cameras, I am familiar with and use the R1's older brother, the F828, as my carry-everywhere-always-ready-shooter. The Canon 20D, on the other hand, provides a plethora of accessories, lenses, andis tailorableto virtually all situations, climates, and locations ... at added expense.

For what you state your needs are, and more, save quite a bit and get the R1, a fitted case or general purpose bag for it,some memory, and perhaps a second battery or more powerful flash (inside shots in large areas).
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:01 AM   #4

I think the R1 may be the route to go, then.

My neighbor has already gone over with me the stuff about using a UV filter on a camera to protect the lens and I know the R1 is like a DSLR in that you can use them without having to use adapters {which we do not want to use}. He did also go over dust inside DSLR cameras too, and mentioned that even point and shoot cameras can get it inside but it's much more rare, due to the fact their lenses extend and retreat in and out of the body {and could catch lint on the barrel and pull it back in, etc}. He said that's not nearly as common as on a DSLR though. He just advised if we go that route to make sure and use a blower {or mouth even} to blow off the lens barrel before turning the camera off if we are in a very dusty or dirty environment while taking shots.

I found out from him this morning he uses a Canon 10d and it takes really nice photos. He said you can still get them for around $800 online, but with a good lens you're still talking bucks. A Rebel XT is a hundred less than that and higher resolution. But, the R1 while a little more expensive than those other two, includes the lens and has the higher resolution, so that sounds like a good way to go. You mentioned the Sony 828 and as a matter of fact, he told me this morning he has one of those also! Showed it to me, the larger black camera that has a lens that can swivel up and down. Says he uses that one for everyday stuff too, but it has more digital noise problems than his Canon and the photos require some adjusting afterward. Plus they're harder to find now at good prices.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go to the store next weekend and look carefully at the R1s now.
richardj30127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:03 AM   #5

I've had my R1 for a few months now and my verdict is that in good light it produces truly outstanding pictures while in poor light conditions it struggles with the autofocus.

Interestingly, many reviews have actually recommended the R1 as an ideal camera for architecture and real estate due to its wide lens.

cheers, nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:08 PM   #6

nymano wrote:
...while in poor light conditions it struggles with the autofocus.
It is slower in dim light, but it is also usually accurate. Not too sure I would call that struggling. I would say a camera struggles if it frequently failed to achive accurate focus. The R1 does achieve accurate focus, it just hunts a bit beforehand as it decides on the focus point.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:23 AM   #7

My 2 cents as an R-1 owner:

1) Your purposes will enjoy the almost distortion free images from24mm to 120 mm ( 35mm equiv).

2) Images from the R-1 will be sharper out of camera than the Canons you mentioned. This is not a criticism, but for your purposes the R-1 will deliver without a sharpening step.

3) The R-1's color accuracy is the best I have seen yet.

4) The 10MP of the R-1 is very important for your purposes as you will be able to crop images more effectivly than those of the Canons you mentioned.

5) You will be able to offer the owners of these buidings location portraits on a moment's notice, as the R-1 is an excellent portrait camera as well.

Hope this helps you a bit in making your decision.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote