Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:06 PM   #1

i read the manufacturers specs saying the H5 supports "Clear RAW NR", but in DCRN,

it says that it shoots only in JPEG.

anyone know the truth?

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:43 AM   #2

short answer, i don thtink h2 has raw. we havent had a pk on h5 so not sure

we had a sony product release here in nz about 3 wks ago and he explained ths. i was sort of listening but this is what i think it is from what he was saying:

the new h series cams apply noise reduction to the image when the file is still in its primary colour raw state. this is meant to be how the cam achieves cleaner final images. so when you take a shot the ccd grabs info in its prim colours (red, blue, green) and noise reduction is applied to the shot firstly. The new sony procesors are faster so they can cope with the larger decompressed file. Once the noise reduction is complete the file is then processed into a jpeg image and compressed.

this is in comparison to the tradtional way where cameras generate a jpeg file, which is smaller and easier for slower processes to play with, then reducing the noise in jpeg mode. Now bcse the photo is already processed it is more difficult for the cam to determine what is noise and wats image as it is sorting through all 3 prime colours combined vs noise reducing them individually.

Now this is what i sort of remember this feature being. i could be wrong

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:58 PM   #3

Jpeg only.

We all wanted RAW on the new H models as well as a swivel screen etc , we all got disappointed..

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote