Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 7, 2006, 8:34 AM   #1

I took this with a DSC-H1 on the sport setting with a UV filter. What are recommended manual settings for these types of pictures?

kalpaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2006, 9:12 AM   #2

Nice shot. There are no recommended settings since conditions vary every time you shoot. The fastest shutter speed you can use under the conditions is a good benchmark. In great lighting this camera can give you good stop action shots but with weak light it will be much more difficult. C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 9:22 AM   #3

Nice shot.

The first setting that I would recommend is Manual Focus, with the camera pre-focused on a previous player standing at the plate.

This eliminates just about all of a camera's shutter lag.

Using a tripod would enable you to shoot with your eyes away from the camera and enable you to viewthe entire scene. Knowing the area you have your camera framed at, you can push the shutter at the peak of action and usualy capture it ( with practice ).

The second is shutter speed. 1/250 usually freezes 'normal' human movement, but swinging a bat is not normal, If you don't want any blur try 1/500 or faster.

You won't need a deep depth of field, so set your aperture at about f4.

Set your ISO to get a good exposure, which you can determine by looking at your images in review.

I hope this helps some. It works for me.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote