Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:26 PM   #1

The one we have all been waiting for , except Canon S3 owners obviously.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:51 PM   #2

Don't forget aboutSteves H5 review here!
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:41 PM   #3

I was rather disappointed to see the reference (an additional paragraph reference) to the Canon S3 IS in the conclusion of the Sony DSC-H5 review, but not a similar reference to the Sony in the Canon review.

The DSC-H5 conclusion also mentions a 7-megapixel camera several times ("camera's full 7-megapixel image quality," for example), or one with only an "extra 1-megapixel of resolution" over the Canon S3 IS, overlooking the additional 200,000 pixels involved here. The difference is an extra 1,200,000 pixels in the DSC-H5, not just one-megapixel. That 1.2-megapixel difference is fairly substantial, at least in my opinion.

Bothreviews also fail to mention another substantial issue - the difference between the cost of accessories. The Sony comes with rechargable batteries and charger, both an extra purchase with the Canon. The Sony comes with the lens adapter and lens hood, also an extra purchase with the Canon. The Canon 1.5x teleconverter (TC-DC58B) sells for nearly the same price as the Sony 1.7x teleconverter. I could go on.

In all honesty, the Canon S3 IS is really only comparable to the Sony DSC-H2 - a camera that sells for at least a hundred dollars less than the Canon.
stewart-photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 3:07 PM   #4

I think the Canon S3 is only comparable to the S2. Both the H2 and H5 are superior cameras.:G
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote