Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:29 PM   #1

Hi, I just bought a sony dsc-h5 for my wife. I would like to get some additional lenses and filters. The camera came with an adapter ring and a lense hood. I don't have a clue what size it is. I'm guessing the male end might be 58mm and the far side adapter end seems to be a bit larger. So I need help with knowing that for sure. Then i also notice that a wide angle lense for example is 58mm and the end for a filter is 62mm. Am I wrong assuming a filter can only get used with the adapter on due to the lense projecting out? AS you can see i am very camera illiterate so any help would be appreciated. Basically need to know what I need as far as lenses and filter sizes.

Thank you very much.

Phil
sposim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:42 PM   #2

Hi Phil.
Let's look at things differently.
Male end that connects to a camera slightly less than 58 mm and female far end of adapter is 58 mm threaded.
So you need filters 58 mm
Another recommendation is to keep adapter on the camera all the time. It protects lens, you will never have a problems with lens cap your wife left on and it is better for threads.

BR
Simon G.
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:57 PM   #3

Hi Simon, Thank you for answering. Ok, so if i get a telephoto and a wideanglelense that measures 58mm on the camera adapter end it has a 62mm on the far end. So i guess i need to get filters to fit both? Does that make sense?

Thank you,

Phil
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:03 PM   #4

There is a link to a SONY TP and WA lenses.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...e=acc&var2=

Both accessories have 58 mm mount.
If you check specifications on both, they do not mention any front threads for filter mount. I do not have these extras and do not have knowledge about front-end threads for TP and WA lens.
Probably there are 3d party lenses on the market with different diameters and different design of lenses front end. You have to make your research to figure it out. Or you can buy lens first and after that you can figure out everything about threads on there fronts.

What I know for sure is SONY adaptor has 58 mm mount at front.
Cheers
S.G.

P.S. I hope other folks can help you more.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:18 PM   #5

Hi Phil, I have the H1 which is the predecessor of the H2/H5. First, the adapter tube that Sony ships with the camera is no good (unless the H5 comes with a different adapter). It is longer than necessary so when you place any adapter lens in front of it, it will cause vignetting (dark corners) because the adapter sits too far from the camera lens. So, my first suggestion is for you to get another adapter tube. Which size? Well, that depends on the adapter lenses you are looking into buying. Both Sony's Tele and WA adapters are 58mm and if those are the ones you are buying, then a 58mm adapter tube will suffice. I bought mine from Photosolve (http://www.photosolve.com/Shop/shopd...cts.asp?page=5) and it works great. You may find other places where you can buy adapter tubes from (Google it).

Now, as far as the lens adapters go, I chose the Sony Tele 1.7xHD1758 and am very pleased with it. It produces very sharp, well balanced images. However, after doing extensive research on the WA, I opted for the Raynox DCR 6600PRO instead of the Sony, primarilybecauseof its very low distortion. The problem here is that this lens has a 52mm mount thread so you have two options: 1) buy a 58-52mm step down ring. This solution will cause vignetting;or 2) buythe Raynox 52mm adapter tube (which I did). This solution does not cause any vignetting at all because theWA once mounted on the adapter tube,sits very close to the camera lens.

If youdecide to buy the Raynox WA, then I suggest you don't buy the 58mm adapter tube. Buy the Raynox 52mm tube and use either the Sony adapter for theTele orthe Raynox with a52-58mm step up ring. The Tele adapter is less prone to vignetting so you should be OK. The other advantage of the52mm tube is the fact that 52mm filters are cheaper. Last but not least, never stack up filters or you will experience vignetting and image quality will deteriorate. Never use any filter with the WA lens or vignetting will occur. If you really want to have a filter anduse PP to remove vignetting, then I suggest a slim UV filter. They have thinner frame and glass, whichreduces considerably the amount of vignetting.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:39 PM   #6

The all metal Pemaraal adapter is excellent.

http://www.pemaraal.com/H1acc.html
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:54 PM   #7

Hello, Phil
the help is coming in and I hope you do not feel lonely now

I think it is not abusive to give you advice – do not buy for your spouse all this expensive stuff right away. It is never late to waste several hundred bucks. Better buy good charger and high capacity rechargeable batteries

I have H1 (the same as Tullio has) and I do not like adapter that came with camera.
I've bought 3d party adapter that cost me less than $40USD and I'm very happy.

http://www.pemaraal.com/H1acc.html

If you want to consider, look at SA58H

BR
Simon G.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:19 PM   #8

Thank you to everyone who took time to write. I will take all the good advise.

Thanks again,

Phil
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:34 PM   #9

Just realized that the link I posted does not work. This one does.

http://www.photosolve.com/Shop/shopexd.asp?id=86

As for the Pemaraal H series, I do not recommend for the hood does not work that well. I'd get the SA58, which is cheaper.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:52 PM   #10

Tullio, having SA58 you do not have a hood at all.
But actually this is a matter of taste.
BR
Simon G.