Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 19, 2003, 4:11 PM   #1
Default Minolta Dimage 7i or Sony DCS F717, help me decide !

Hello everybody,

I need your expert advice and opinions to help me buy a digital camera.
i've browsed all the top sites in digital camera reviews but i still can't make up my mind between the SONY DSC F717 and Minolta Dimage 7i.
can somebody please help me on deciding. Before that let me tell you that i have never used a digital camera before so this would be my first one if i get any one of these.
The reasons/factors which make me want both these cameras and which gives me a hard time selecting one of these..

What i like in Minolta
1.I really like the 7x zoom lens.
2.EVF 220,000 pixels one of the best out there.(i hope i'm right on this.)
i seem to be really particular about the EVF's pixels because,i feel uncomfortable to look at grainy images in the EVF under low light,minolta being the exception at this,atleast the better of the lot.

what i dislike and am uncomfortable with
1.The Err message which many of the Minolta users have experienced( this is the one and only reason which make me think,why go for a camera which has some problems when i can get a "SONY",also a really good camera for a lesser price ? which also has some unique features.)

2.I feel a bit uncomfortable that i need to go through the minolta software and save the images under the RGB space to get the best quality pictures.i think i read that minolta uses its own color space(please correct me if i'm wrong and also shed some light where ever needed)
but still i would go through this if i have to, after all i can get used to it.

1.i'm really impressed by the Night Framing and the Night shots.

Features that i'm not comfortable with sony
1.First thing, the EVF 180,000 pixels.i did go to the store to get the look and feel of the camera and looking at the grainy image in the EVF made me uncomfortable(it was around 8.00 pm and the store has enough lights on).
2.5x zoom,but i guess i can live with it especially with a camera like SONY .

as a sum up of the points.

on the + side of the Minolta
1.220,000 pixel EVF(one of my main considerations in the camera)

-ve points for Minolta,can say that it's an issue with the cameras.
1.The unsolved "Err" message which keeps appearing in the camera (who would want to buy a camera knowing that it could be problematic)

+ points for the Sony.i would rather say extra features.
1.NIght framing and Night shots.

as of now my thinking is, ' if the Minolta didn't have that 'Err' issue i would have most probably opted for the Minolta '
and i don't mind the price of both the camera's, i don't mind whether its bulky or not and believe me i also don't mind the fact(according to me, from the diff reviews i have gone through) that the final images produced by the Minolta(after saving it in the RGB color space by running them through the software,which BTW is bit if a hassle) has more noise than the sony images.
because i'm not such a professional photographer to look into real minute details of the images but at the same time i would want a real good picture and definitely not a problematic camera.

so guys please help me out in selecting one of them.please do give suggestions whether my opinions are correct or wrong,whould i be looking at other aspects while going in to buy a digital camera, any thing, any suggestion is most welcome.
it would be of great help and i would really appreciate it if you guys could help me deciding on any one of these cameras.
and one more thing can someone explain more about the "Err" message in the Minolta Dimage, like how bad is that Err,whether it can be resolved,will it keep occurring over and over though we try to resolve it .. so that i can gain more knowledge regarding that "Err" message.
i know i'm asking a lot of questions to which, almost all the answers are there in the forum,but i really want to know how much all these would affect one's decision when it comes to buying these camera.

and please pardon me for my English if it's bad or if any of my above mentioned points or features of the camera are wrong.
waiting for all your knowledgeable and valued suggestions.

thanks in advance,
vinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:57 AM   #2

Hi. I'm no expert either. I was considering the Minolta as well. I can't tell you about it cause I couldn't find one within 300 miles of here so never got a chance to hold it and check it out. I can tell you the Sony takes excellent pics right out of the can. I like to take candid type shots fast and don't have time to mess and fiddle with controls. It has a lot of advanced settings but probably not as many as the Minolta. The sony battery lasts forever, auto focus and metering are great, and it can be had price matched at sears. I gave them back the money I saved and bought the 3 year replacement warranty. If anything happens, I take it to sears, they hand me another one, I don't mess with mailing the camera anywhere. I like no hassles. I don't get any with the sony. I'm not knocking the Minolta but I'm a total happy camera with the 717. Memory sticks can be had at buy.com 128 megs for 30 bucks. I bought 2.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 5:00 PM   #3

Choose the Sony. I've got one since this week, i like it. I know someone with the Minolta, it's Ok, but Sony better. And the Nightframing counts for 10x i might add (superb).

Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 11:35 PM   #4

I just received my DiMAGE 7Hi and I really like it. Several of my co-workers have the 717, and they really like their cameras.

One co-worker commented on how much lighter my camera was compared to her (now older) 717.

Another 717 owner really liked the zoom and the 7HI's ability to rapidly take pictures (playing around with the drive modes).

I haven't seen the ERR message crop up, and I've taken a couple hundred pictures with it so far.

I'd say it's a toss up, but then again, I just got bit by Sony's alleged 1 year warranty with our DSC-P51 (which died after 9 months and Sony guestimated $171 to repair it :shock: :shock: :shock: )

--== NeanderDude==--
NeanderDude is offline   Reply With Quote