Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 25, 2003, 4:32 PM   #1
Default Mystery With 5 Megapixel Resolution of only 72 Pixels/Inch

All of my images are shot at the highest settings on my Sony DCS F717 5 Megapixel camera, yet

at the very bottom left of the Photoshop Elements 2.0 screen where it shows Width, Height,

Channels and Resolution... it shows only 72 dpi... even though the JPEG file is over 2

megapixels! The prints look fantastic on my Canon I950 Printer so I know I'm somehow truly

getting great photo resolution...

but the confusion with this mysteriously low resolution number is driving me nuts.

Even shots I am sent from other people who have much lesser cameras or basic, small images I

download from the web show the magical 300 dpi I seek when I load them into Photoshop Elements.

What is MY dpi referring to at 72 dpi whereas other people's photos are at 300 dpi?

Thanks so much!

Shimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2003, 1:05 PM   #2
Default that is default for software

That is the default display for the software, you can change that. If you check the actual size of the photo when it is at that 72 it is HUGE!

Since you print smaller, the software is pushing them closer together, thats why your prints are still good.
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 8:13 PM   #3

DPI with respect to a digital image is really arbitrary. What matters is that the picture is 2560x1920. The DPI only comes into play when you print it- it determines how closely the printer will space the dots, and how big the image will be. You can print an image at any DPI level you want (that the printer can handle). A higher DPI level will translate to a smaller (but more finely-detailed) printed image. If you print a 5mp image from your camera at true 72 DPI (on a printer that can make really big pictures), it will be over 35" wide. If you print that same picture at 600 DPI, it will be only just over 4" wide, but it will contain the same number of pixels- 5 million.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote