Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:54 PM   #1

Hi Guys nd Girls, this is my first posting so be gentle with me LOL .

I have been encouraged to post some pics by a long time member and a darn good photographer "reanimator". This perticular shot is from a series taken at a rugby league grand final, it was taken on a Nikon D2h(not mine:sad with a 80-200mm(not mine either :sad however i have since aquired a Nikon d100 and i am slowley getting used to this digital format!!

Look forward to your comments (i think) !! Graham

Attached Images

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:37 PM   #2

Hi Bluesman,

Nice action shot coupled with great timing!

I hope you don't mind but I tweaked your original photo to illustrate a few points:

1. As a fellow sports shooter, I find myself having to crop a little tighter in order to enlarge the subject. It just so happens that the player kicking the ball is off-center (what you want visually if you divide the shot into thirds)

2. Color correction - I used the Automatic correction setting of Adobe Photoshop Elements (List Price - $90) & boosted Saturation +6.

3. Noise - Ran Noiseware on the "Default" setting to clean up the photo a bit
The "Community Edition" is FREEhttp://www.imagenomic.com/download.asp

4. Looking at it again, the horizon seems to be off - that's pretty easy to correct as well. Were you shooting hand-held?

**I end up taking hundreds of shots per game & my keeper rate is still only 25% on a good day, most days it's much lower.

Good Luck & use these forums for reference. I learned so much here from these helpful folks**

Best Regards,

Nick
SportShotsLive.com
Attached Images

SportShotsLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:24 PM   #3

Hi Nick thanks for the reply and the free softwear link :-), you are correct in that it was a hand held pic, i see what you mean by the "grass horizon" i thought i had got the players almost vertical? , the pitch did slope but not this much!!

i did try the crop you used, however , it didn't look as good as yours( will have to learn about "noise":?etc),but thought it looked too much like a "penalty goal" as opposed to a spur of the moment kick for goal!!

I do have a up to date version of adobe but navigating it is soooo hard:sad:, have got some tutorials so hope to improve eventually:-)

look forward to your learnerd offerings. "if ya don't ask, yer wont learn". Thanks Graham
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:12 PM   #4

Hi Graham,

Happy to help - I'm still learning too (I think we all are). :G

Which version of Adobe are you using? I had been using Photoshop 7/CS but found that Photoshop Elements 4.0 was MUCH easier and all the enhancements/photo fixes are right there. The other way, one really had to know Photoshop inside & out to get anything done. I wish I knew about Elements a long time ago.

I have found 1 writer that was awesome at explaining the confusing navigation & subsequent correction of photos - Scott Kelby - the master/guru of Photoshop.

Here's his link for the books he's written: http://shop.scottkelbybooks.com/index.php

Keep the photos coming!!

Nick
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:31 PM   #5

Hi everyone, gonna post one more rugby league pic from series, any advice on improvements in the digital field( ie, noise etc ) would be greatfully recieved.

Hi nick, i am running adobe 7.0at the moment too, and yes yer right it's a nightmare:O, just hope the tutorials help!, thanks for book link will take a looksee.
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:43 PM   #6

Graham,

OK - I'm using Photoshop 7 & made the following adjustments:

Click Image --> Adjustments

- Auto Levels (This will brighten up your photo)
- Auto Contrast
- Auto Color

I also ran it through the Noiseware Community Edition - FREE filter.

See below. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

Nick
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:55 PM   #7

Thanks Nick, just ran the same alterations over my own pics and can see the differance,:-). Hope to post again soon. Graham