Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 13, 2006, 1:22 PM   #1

Please help, I need tips on taking indoor volleyball pictures, where to set

the ISO, apeture, and shutter, I have the Canon 8.0 XT. I have a Canon 75-300

lens, also the kit lens. My daughter plays Thursday night 9/14, and would like to

try and get some good shots. Thanks for any help!
lakeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:37 PM   #2

The answer is it's not going to be possible to get 'good' shots with that setup. You won't be able to get the shutter speeds you need to stop any action. The internal flash isn't really powerful enough to be your light source. So, if you want to do this long term you need some new equipment.

For thursday, here is what I suggest (since nothing you do will be able to freeze action):

Set camera to ISO 1600

Set camera to AV mode and dial in your best aperture (which will probably turn to 5.6 by the time you zoom a little).

Take some test shots. What shutter speeds are you getting? If it's 1/60 or faster you can get some shots. If it's worse than 1/60 stop right there you'll be wasting your time.

Now, if you're at least at 1/60 - look for shots where the head is fairly steady - a server who is not a jump-server will stay fairly steady with mostly arm motion - you can get a nice shot there. Sets are probably another area where the head stays fairly steady. Digs, spikes and blocks are probably going to have too much motion.

Now, if you want shots of ther server with the reach of your lens you can be on the opposite court off the line to ther servers side (so your camera is looking at the server from the side of the net not through the net). Setters at this HS level have a tendancy to face one way or the other - let's say she predominantly turns to her left when setting (assuming a set from the middle positon) - you want to be in a position to catch her face when she sets. So, in this instance I would say be behind the back line off to the left (often times you can't be directly to one side because that's where the players are and no one wants a photog in front of them).

Others who have more vollyball experience than I may be able to give better advice. But from my experience those positions work well for capturing those specific types of action (serving and setting) because you can predict where the action is most likely to happen.

Long term you need a faster lens and/or an external flash.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 6:22 PM   #3

I would suggest getting the Canon 85 mm 1.8 lens (around $350) or the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens (around $70).

I have had good success using these lenses for indoor vball
RadioControlGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 8:34 PM   #4

RadioControlGuy - Do I understand correctly that you have better results with a prime lens for indoor volleyball? My camera is not a Canon, I might be at a disadvantage already. I've considered buying a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 lens Do you think a prime lens would be better? Thank you.

Karen
techaide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 8:41 PM   #5

Actually I have never used a zoom for indoor vball simply because my 85mm 1.8 has suited me quiet well.

Yes, I think a zoom would offer more versatility though. I have been planning on getting the 70-200mm 2.8.

But right now I am perfectly happy with my 85mm 1.8
RadioControlGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:05 AM   #6

techaide2 wrote:
Quote:
I've considered buying a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 lens Do you think a prime lens would be better? Thank you.

Karen
Karen - it's all about light. The question is whether a 2.8 lens is fast enough in your gym to get the shutter speeds you need. For many gyms it's not fast enough and you need to shoot at f2.0 or 2.2.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote